chapter 4

“Ah! My dearest Queen Nino!” King Gammond welcomed the three with open arms and his usual, charming smile.

Nino embraced the ailing King, then his wife next.

“It has been too long, Nino.” King Gammond said stoutly.

“I know . . . I know.” Nino shook her head. “I’ve been so busy with my work-“ she lowered her voice, just so Gammond and Miyumi could hear. “-and raising hellions.”

They laughed.

“Jaffar is away, I presume?” Miyumi asked.

Nino nodded. “Unfortunately. Heavens knows when he’ll get back.”

“I thought he finished that life several years ago.” Gammond pondered aloud.

“So did everyone else.” She grimaced. “Sain! Don’t hit your sister!” she chided, stopping Sain’s raised fist mid-air. He scowled as Esmé ran behind her mother’s legs.

“Well, things have been going so well here, Missus.” Queen Miyumi changed the subject. “This is certainly a beautiful place.”

“Thank you. Or rather, thank my father.” Nino vaguely smiled.

King Gammond smiled his bright smile again. “Another reason I’m happy that you’re here, is because Guy finally gets up to see his parents.” He laughed heartily.

“He’s so busy fretting over your safety these days.” Miyumi added. “He forgets all about Marrvon.”

“I know, I wish he wouldn’t. But I’m thankful, nonetheless.” Nino responded.

~

She watched over Esmé and Sain carefully as they played in Esmé’s Celeste. It had been far too long since she had sat in the white sand. She was sitting in the very spot that Jaffar had professed his love for her, so long ago. She remembered her first touching the water- also being the first human to break the surface.

The water was as blue as ever, the birds as playful and graceful, the scent of orchids somewhere still lingering about . . . it was all the same. Nothing had changed, despite her life being thrown off track, growing up, marriage and having kids.

Nino remembered Esmé’s first question about the place.

“Mommy why is it named after me?” she had asked, digging her finger into the wet sand after sand crabs.

“It was named after my mother, and I named you after my mother- your grandmother.” Nino had answered.

“Why?”

This was a question Nino had gotten used to answering when Sain was younger. But when Esmé asked, it was with an odd ring to her cherubic voice.

“Well . . . I never got to know her.” Nino carefully answered. “But Esmé means ‘emerald’. And you have beautiful emerald eyes, so it fits well.”

She snapped back to attention. Sain so far was getting along well with his sister. Nino watched Esmé’s bouncy golden curls bob as she hopped over miniscule waves. It was amazing how the ends of Esmé’s hair always darkened into that familiar black color, even when she had her hair cut or trimmed. Esmé was certainly an interesting child. In some way or another, she represented her parents and grandparents, all at once.

It was as if her daughter were just calling fate to test her.

~

The three had been on Marrvon for four days now, enjoying their time off (especially Nino), and playing down at Esmé’s Celeste. It had been easier than Nino imagined, especially since Sain was behaving- so far.