2.3~ Navita's story-- Part 3

6.3- "My dearest Navita, tell me, how could I possibly ignore you?"

I became less enthusiastic about everything and unknowingly, I started to distance myself with my peers. Aditi and Shashank tried to console me at times, even calling me to join lunch but I refused, coming up with a lame excuse each time. I know I wasn't being fair to them when they truly were the only ones who cared for my well being. The problem was, I couldn't put on a facade and act all merry like nothing was happening around me. I just couldn't. People might pity me but the truth was I preferred being by myself, especially at times like this.

Well, Nishant was no exception either.

He had stopped by my cubicle today to have lunch together. He started talking about his everyday routine and work while I cut my sentences short to indirectly let him know that I wasn't up for his chirpiness.

"You don't pay attention to those rumors, do you?" It was only when he said those words, did my ears perked up, making me turn my head to him.

"How much have you heard of it?" I asked instead, wondering if he had heard something about the group chat I had the golden opportunity to read on to.

"Just things someone heard from another someone, and things I had the luxury to hear about," he said with the hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"Kay," Well, those chats were private for a reason.

I jerked my head to see him looking at me with a suspicious eye. It compelled me to avert mine. I could feel his eyes watching me like a hawk and I balled my right fist that was hidden from his view. After few seconds, I heard him sigh.

"Just don't believe in them, okay?" He finally said and I silently nodded. We fell into an uncomfortable silence to the point it was cringe worthy. I needed to say something to kill the air of awkwardness around us but I didn't know what. I never aced in communication skills anyway. Finally I opened my mouth.

"So what-"

"Shit, I just remembered. I forgot to submit the blueprints for the 23rd level of TID. I need to do this ASAP. Sorry Lynda but I'll have to go," he said while looking over his wrist watch. He stood up.

Wait, did he just called me... Lynda?

"No problem. Work is more important," I said, despite my voice quivering a little. I expected Nishant to glance over me or maybe wonder if something was wrong with me but guess I was expecting too much. He simply bid his goodbyes and went away like he never visited me in the first place.

With nothing left to do, I resumed to eating my lunch.

It's not like I believed what those rumors said about him but I didn't make him out to be that innocent either. These nonsensical situations kept happening and before I knew it, a seed of doubt had planted in my brain. Maybe it was just me being paranoid but during this week, Nishant has barely contacted me. That included late night calls and texts, except today. On the contrary, I wasn't being fair either. That's why today felt different. Like we were hundred miles away, even though he was physically present right next to me.

Men never took me romantically. Naturally when Nishant allowed himself to enter my life, I was skeptical about it but that doubt soon faded away with time. Plus, he said he likes me, right after he found out that I had recommended him. Was there a meaning behind it or did he simply wanted to say it out loud? But why choose that moment then?

It's because of that one simple hug that this uproar started off. I shouldn't have recommended him after all. But then, he deserved it, so why shouldn't I? Was it so wrong to help someone like this? If it was, then, I definitely won't think about recommending someone else like this ever again.