Chapter 17

"Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up."

― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones

Adam's POV

I quickly grabbed a throw pillow and threw it to him. He immediately turned his back.

"Go to my room. Stay there." I whispered to Janine.

"But, how about my clothes?" She asked.

"Don't bother" I said and she quickly ran upstairs.

Why are you so in a bad timing Dad??!!!

I pushed him outside.

"We'll talk here outside" I growled.

"No. There's nothing to talk about. Adam, Janine is different! Why are you doing that?" He shouted.

"I wasn't playing with her okay?" I shouted back.

"Then explain to me what are you doing there," he said while putting both of his hands on his hips.

"Just... Um... Eating my dinner" I shrugged as I fought the smile on my lips.

"Are you insane?! She's the granddaughter of your grandfather's bestfriend! Don't play games with her."

"I told you I'm not playing games with her okay? She's different." I said

"You better be. Once I know you're lying, I'll disinherit and disregard you in the family" he threatened.

"Damn it Dad! I'm not lying okay?! In fact she's the only woman I've been with! I'm not seeing somebody else okay? No worries."

"I hope so,"

"I think you're doing fine. Are you in good terms?" He said after a very long awkward pause.

"Well? What do you think Dad?" I fired back. "Anyway, why didn't you knock?"

"Why didn't you lock?" He shot back.

"Aarrgghh!!! Okay, why are you here?"

"I was just checking up on you" he shrugged

"Seriously Dad? I'm not a child anymore!" I'm already frustrated with this man in front of me but he seems to enjoy it because he just chuckled.

"The truth is, I just passed by here and decided to remind you that tomorrow would be your mom's death anniversary. I was hoping you can go with us in the cemetery to pay a visit. It's been years since you paid a visit on her death anniversary" He smiled sadly

"I'll come" I smiled

"Wow. You don't usually come. But I'm glad you could join us." He patted my shoulder. Right, I don't usually come during her death anniversaries. Why would I sympathize my ownself and mourn for someone who already left me? I don't even want to reminisce that day.

"Anyway, I need to go. I think you have unfinished business to do." He winked

"Hey Dad? Mind if I bring someone over? I'd like her to meet the first woman I've loved" I smiled.

"You love Janine already don't you?" He asked

Love? I don't do love.