Chapter 18

"There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment." 

 ― Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever

"If you believe that they exist, do you want to be my princess?"

Those words keep repeating on my mind. What does that mean? I've been on this bed for hours to sleep yet I'm still here wide awake, trying to solve the mystery behind his cryptic words. I tried rolling to get my comfortable position during sleep but it didn't work so I counted sheep to sleep but it didn't work either.

Okay, that's it! I'm not gonna sleep.

I hopped out of bed and went straight to the kitchen to have some water but when I arrived there, I saw a massive silhouette opening the contents of the fridge while the refrigerator door is blocking my view on who it is. I quickly went to grab something to smash the stealer and my hands collided with the pan. A PAN?! What is this? Tangled?

I groaned mentally and walked like a cat. He was about to stand up and I took the chance to get rid of this person. When the pan collided with the person, the intruder immediately shouted.

"Ooooww!!!" A deep manly voice shouted.

Wait, I recognized that voice.

"Adam?" I asked

"Janine? What are you doing here and why did you do that?" His voice commanded for an answer.

"I... I couldn't sleep so I went here to have some drink and I saw you. I thought you were an intruder or something so I grabbed something and I have this pan" I explained. "I'm sorry. Truly sorry."

Good lord, I'm so embarrassed!

"It's okay." His voice turned to a soft one. "Why can't you sleep?" He asked

I was debating whether to tell him about his words but instead I said, "I don't know. Maybe my mind is too occupied at the moment."

"Too occupied?" He repeated

"Maybe. I just keep on wondering why the earth is on the third orbit and not on the second or fourth one. Why is the sun called sun? Those stupid questions" I lied and shrugged. I mentally slapped my head for saying dumb and silly words.

Really Janine?

"Oh. Okay. What do you want? A milk or water?" He took a glass.

"Maybe some milk?" I said.

"Coming right up!" He said smiling. After a few minutes, he gave me the milk I want and I drank it all the way down.

"Thank you" I said while handing him the empty glass.

"Thank me later" he bent down. Is he gonna kiss me? I don't know why but hope blossomed inside me. I bet he is so I closed my eyes and waited for his lips on mine but instead I felt his tongue wiped the sides of my lips. I opened my eyes and saw him smiling.

"There. You're all cleaned up. There were some milk so I have to wipe it out" he winked as he placed the glass on the sink.

"Thanks" I smiled and made my way to my room. I heard footsteps behind me. Is he following me?