Chapter Seven

Solomon drove in silence. Once he got back to the office he was going to start working on his own case, and leave Daisy with the missing heir. He had to admit she was showing some aptitude. First lesson of being a P.I., build contacts and use them. However, he preferred she not do it by flirting and seducing the information she wanted out of other men. Hopefully she would hit another brick wall, and he could move on with his plan to have her quit from boredom.

What he really needed was an excuse to get out of the office for a couple of hours. The less time they spent together the better. She would drive him nuts; or rather her being right about his behavior would drive him nuts. He knew what he was doing. His reaction was extreme when it came to other men flirting with her. Her bare legs were in his peripheral vision. Perhaps if she agreed to dress in a nun's habit he would be less prone to bouts of testosterone enraged jealousy on Paul's behalf.

Daisy's voice broke into his thoughts. "Cheer up. It might never happen."

He glanced at her. "What might never happen?"

She smiled. "Whatever it is that has you so gloomy. We're finally onto something. I can feel it in my waters."

"What?"

"I mean we have some information that could crack this case wide open. Feeling it in my waters is something my mam used to say. Didn't your mam say it?"

"Not that I remember."

"Not that you remember your mam, or not that you remember her saying it?"

"The latter."

"So you do have a mam, then? I did wonder. Any other family?"

He shrugged. Some information he preferred to keep to himself.

"You must know if you have family. Is there a daddy Solomon and other Solomon siblings? Come to that, is Solomon your first or last name?"

"Neither." He pulled into the parking space behind their office and climbed out of his SUV before she could grill him some more.

She caught up to him when he got to the office door. "Neither? What kind of answer is that? So why are you called Solomon, then?"

"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

Her laughter made him smile. One thing about Daisy, unless you cocked up monumentally she was usually quick to bounce back. She seemed genuinely excited about the case, and might even have thawed a bit toward him. However, no amount of happy on her part would make him spill details about his family.

He shoved the key in the lock. "Will you be all right by yourself for a bit? I've an errand to run."

"I thought we were going to get to work together on our cases?"

"I have a case, Princess, with a retainer and a promise of payment. You have an heir to hunt that might lead to no monetary reward at all, unless you're the first one to find him. Now, don't go anywhere. When I get back I'll see if you've made any progress."

When the door swung open she stepped inside and he followed.

"Progress how?"

"I'd start digging into why Lord Mardon suspects Elliott isn't his son."

"Good idea."

Solomon continued through the office and down the corridor.

"Where are you going?"

"I need to change." No way was he spending the rest of the day dressed in his best getup.

*