Chapter Twenty-Nine

Solomon sat at his desk trolling through the news on the Internet to see what the cops had to say about the exploding Kombi van. So far they were calling it a mechanical failure, but the area was on lockdown. Best-case scenario, they'd discover the bomb and go after the morons who had tried to kill them. Worst-case scenario, they'd find his fecking phone, trace his military background, check his place of birth, and decide he had something to do with it. The troubles in Northern Ireland might be over, but that didn't mean his countrymen weren't still subject to suspicion.

He glanced at the time. If Daisy didn't hurry up they'd never make it to Salisbury for their appointment. He'd had first shower, tended his wounds, and changed his clothes. The jacket and jeans were a write-off. Levis were ten a penny, but the black jacket had been a real favorite. He'd shoot the bastard who'd tried to blow them up just for destroying an essential piece of his wardrobe.

He sat up straight as a headline caught his eye. "Bollocks!"

"What?"

Daisy sauntered into the room. She'd chosen skinny jeans, black knee-high spike-heel boots, and a long-sleeved cream button-up shirt. She tossed the distressed black leather jacket she was carrying on his desk as she walked around to join him. Other than the boots, the outfit was the closest thing to a nun's habit he'd seen her wear.

"The estate of Lord Mardon reckons they've found Tobias and are withdrawing the reward."

She leaned over his shoulder. The soft flowery scent she favored filled his nostrils, and her curly strawberry blonde hair brushed his face as she read the report on his computer screen. "Do you believe it?"

"That they've found Tobias?"

She turned and leaned her butt against his desk. "Seems awfully convenient. And if they have found him, then what is all this about. Why is someone trying to scare me off? This started before we did anything on your case."

"Good point, Princess."

"If it isn't Toby, then surely the real Toby will see it and come forward? Is that their game, to try and flush him out?"

"Perhaps, but I think it's safe to assume, at this point, that he doesn't want to be found."

"So why pretend you have him, then?"

Solomon shrugged. "Maybe to get people to stop hunting for him. If we're to assume the defacing of your car and the bomb were designed to scare you off, then they'll also want to discourage others. Without a reward, what's the point of looking? Whoever they're parading as Lord Tobias is irrelevant."

"A fake Toby will never pass muster if they want to get the inheritance."

"I'm starting to think the inheritance is no longer important, Princess. If they're wanting to stop people looking, a fake heir does the job. Unless you know Tobias, that picture could be of anyone."

"We need to speak to Belinda."

"Why?"

"She does know him."

Solomon glanced at his watch. "Right you are. If we're quick we can duck into her shop and still be in Salisbury for our first appointment at midday."

"And then lunch. I know a lovely café near the cathedral. Now I'm not going to get paid for finding Toby, lunch will have to be on you."

Solomon lifted a corner of his mouth. "Of course it will, darlin'."

* * * *

Daisy's conversation with Belinda had been most enlightening. Solomon had shown her the photo of the supposed Toby with his brother Elliott taken outside the family pile. Belinda had taken one look and declared it wasn't the wayward Lord Toby. Apparently it was a fair match but not him. The real Toby had a narrower frame and a slightly different-shaped nose. Most damning of all were the eyes. Apparently the fake Lord's were the wrong shape. He was also missing a crescent-shaped scar on his left cheek that he got from playing rugby.