sixteen

evelyn

"Evelyn!"

It was a normal Tuesday morning. I was supposed to go to work today, but I had cramps and I wasn't really feeling it. So, I was gonna stay in the house for the day and just chill by myself.

"Yes ma'am?" I called to Chanel in a joking manner. "Why ain't yo' ass go to work?"

I jogged down the stairs and met her in the kitchen. She had her work badge around her neck and she was fixing a smoothie or some shit like that. "I got cramps."

She eyed my attire: gray tights, an old crop top, house shoes and a black bonnet. "That's why you dressed like you struggling?"

I laughed,"Yep."

She smiled,"Whatever. I guess I'll order you a pizza later on, so be on the lookout for it around 3." I smiled and wrapped my arms around her and pulled her in a hug. "Thank you, Butt Butt."

She frowned,"Call me that again and I'll make sure you starve." I giggled and blew a kiss,"Sorry."

She grabbed her keys off the counter,"I gotta go. I'll see you when I get off."

"Okay." She walked out and I was left alone in the house.

I went into the living room and cuddled up with a couple blankets that were folded up in the closet.

"Netflix by myself sounds lovely," I muttered, getting comfy under the blankets. Just as I played the movie and rested my hands on my lap, the doorbell rang.

I groaned and cursed multiple times. Then I leaned down in my seat, contemplating whether I should answer or not.

"As soon as I get comfortable," I muttered, getting up. I opened the door and there was Justin standing there looking absolutely stupid.

"What?" I mumbled, not even caring about my appearance at this point. "I called you," he said.

"Welp, I blocked your number, so that's probably why it didn't go through."

"Really?"

"Deadass."

He sighed,"I'm sorry."

I raised an eyebrow,"Sorry because I blocked your number..?"

"Sorry for being a dickhead," he admitted,"I should've told you about my cancer and how much time I have left. It was selfish of me," he said. I nodded,"Very."

"Yeah." He sighed,"I've never done this before, so I really don't know what else to say."

I smiled,"I think that was good enough. You shouldn't even be apologizing, you can't help your sickness."

He smiled back at me,"Okay, good. Did I disturb you, I heard a lot of foul language," he chucked.

I gave a toothless smile,"I was just watching a movie. Want to join?"
He shrugged,"That's fine," and followed me in. I plopped back into my seat and got as comfortable as I could, but I knew it wasn't the same. "Just a warning, the Reds are playing today."

He furrowed an eyebrow,"What does baseball have to do with anything?"

I rolled my eyes,"Big B's," I said, hoping he'd get the memo. I even made the Bloods gang sign, but he just looked at me even more confused.

I groaned,"I'm on my cycle. I was just warning you in case I started getting emotional or angry. I'm in pain and I'm horny, so."

He chuckled lightly,"Okay.. What're we watching?"

"I was thinking between My Girl or Hair Spray."

He furrowed his eyebrows,"Really?"

"What? You don't like those?" He shook his head,"They're alright."

"Alright? These movies are classics."

"Eh," he waved his hand.

"Whatever," I sneered, clicking onto My Girl. I turned to face h and he was standing there looking awkward. I kissed my teeth,"Are you gonna stand there the whole time or are you gonna sit down?"

He chuckled,"There's no where to sit."

"Oh I guess you can't sit next to me because I have excessive chicken pox," I said sarcastically,"Boy if you don't come lay with me."

He smiled slightly and I scooted over, giving him room to lay with me. I covered him with the blanket and we snuggled up together, absorbing the warmth.

We watched the movie --- I mean, I tried.  The whole time Justin kept making me pause it to ask questions.

"Who is he?"

"Oh my God, is she really doing that?"

"He died for real?!"

I was glad that the movie was over and by the time it was, the pizza man was at the door.

I gratefully opened it and took the pizza with a big smile on my face. Justin eyed me strangely,"People just bring pizzas to your door?"

"No," I chuckled,"Chanel brought it for me."

My stomach grumbled at the sight of it. I put Justin and me a slice on a plate. We ate in silence until I finally decided to speak,"How does it feel?"

He looked confused,"How does what feel?" And then he sighed when he realized what I meant,"Oh, that."

"Yeah," I said quietly. "It sucks. I mean, what else? I don't enjoy having cancer."

"Is that why you didn't have a social life?" I asked. He nodded,"Yeah. Kids thought I was weird. I was known as the kid who smoked cancer sticks, even though I didn't smoke or even have lung cancer."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry," he chuckled,"It's not your fault that you had a good childhood and I didn't," he said.

"So you're really dying, huh?" I asked, not even bothering to hold back the tears. It might've sounded wrong to say, but it was hard to believe so I wanted to hear it come out of his mouth.

"Yes," he sighed,"I am going to be dead in about 5 months."

"When did you find out?"

"The day before I met you," he chuckled,"Maybe that was God, because if I wouldn't of got my diagnosis then I wouldn't of never met you," he smiled.

I couldn't help but blush.  "Maybe so."

He squeezed my hand,"Look, don't worry about me. We all have to go sometime, it's fine."

"It's not fine, Justin," I said, my voice trembling,"I just met you. I can't let you go that easily."

"We don't have a choice here," he sighed,"Just don't ever forget about me."

I leaned over and gave a soft kiss on his cheek,"I won't. And don't worry, I'll make sure these last months will be the best days of your life, and that's a promise."