14 - Bond

Jake kneels by Dereck, who lies on the ground, bleeding. Chloe covers her mouth, while I feel like my heart just got yanked out of my chest.

"DERECK!" I scream.

Ella looks at me with lips forced together.

"You evil little tramp!" Jacob yells.

"Bond! Do something."
I can't. I can't hurt my own daughter. This isn't Ella. It's someone else. Ella walks to the car and drives off, while Chloe keeps on screaming at me.

"She just shot her own brother and you let her go?" Chloe asks.

"I'm not going to hurt her."
"Bond! What if she kills you?"
I grab Chloe by the shirt. "First off, that will never happen. We're going to save her."
I hear Dereck gasping for air, and a boy pleading for him to live.

"Please, Dereck. Hang in there." He says.

"I- c- can't."

I dart to Dereck, kneeling by him and holding him in my arms. Blood soaks almost the entire front of his shirt, and he's so cold. My heart's racing, and my world's falling apart. "Dereck! Are you okay?"
"No... Dad- you have to save Ella." He stutters out.

"I will. What about you?"
He shakes his head. "I won't make it. I'm sorry. I- l-l-ove y-" He closes his eyes, and takes his last breath. Those were his last words. This can't be happening. I'm supposed to die, not him. And Ella is supposed to be safe.

"Dereck! Dereck please!" I scream, shaking him.

"Bond. He's dead." The boy says.

He could've saved him. I punch him in the face. He falls to the ground, rubbing his jaw.

"You want a piece of me?!" He darts off of the ground, but Chloe holds him back. "Guys, don't! We can't do this!"

"Why not?"
"Because this is one of our deadliest missions yet."
"Chloe, everything we do is deadly."
"Yeah? Well this tops off our entire list. Those bombers aren't playing."
"You think?" I snap. "They drugged my daughter and got her to kill my son!"
"Look! I know how mad you are, and we all have sympathy for you, but those guys don't. They'll kill you quickly if you keep on crying like a baby. Are you James Bond or what? Or are you just Baby Bond?"

I pause. "James Bond. And we're going to get Ella back."

"Now that's what I want to hear."