Chapter Seven

Regina awoke to the sound of her phone buzzing. She groaned as she rolled over to check it, forgetting that Emma's arm was draped over her. She smiled as she remembered last night.

She took the phone in her hands and checked the caller display: Mr. Gold. She hit answer.

"Hello," Regina moaned groggily, rubbing her aching head with her opposite hand.

"Ah, just woke up?" he asked.

"No," she lied. "What do you want, Gold?"

"The video tape," he reminded her.

"Oh, right." Regina mentally cursed. "I'll be over in an hour. Bye." She hung up without letting him say another word.

Regina plopped her phone back on the night stand and rolled back into bed. She just wanted to stay here, Emma's arm wrapped around her, all day long. She snuggled closer to Emma, closing her eyes and sighing.

A few minutes later a series of rapid knocks sounded from below. Regina groaned, yet again, peeling the sheets off of her body. The cool hair connected with her skin and made her shiver. She made sure to tuck the blankets around Emma before grabbing a warm robe, sliding her feet into her slippers and walking downstairs to get the front door. The moment she opened the door Mary Margaret bombarded her with questions.

"Did you find Emma? Is she okay? Where is she? Regina, did you find her? Where is-"

"Shush," she silenced the anxious woman bouncing around in front of her. "Emma's fine, she's upstairs. I'll go get her. Sit." Regina pointed to a black, leather loveseat at the bottom of the stairs. Regina disappeared up the stairs.

She entered her room to find Emma, still asleep on her bed. Her blonde curls littered the pillow case. Regina grinned as she watched Emma's chest inflate and deflate steadily. She approached the bed and plunged into the unmade sheets. Emma uttered a moan. Regina laughed, inching closer.

"Emma," she whispered, nudging the other woman.

"Huh?" Emma groaned, wiping her eyes as she rolled over to face Regina. "Hi," Emma croaked with a smile. Her breath smelled like liquor but Regina ignored that.

"Hi." Regina poked her nose, still grinning. "Your mother is downstairs looking for you."

Emma sighed. "Really?"

Regina nodded sadly. "You'll probably want to get dressed first though," she suggested. She thought of Emma's soggy jeans, shirt and jacket on the floor downstairs.

"Right." Emma nodded back.

Regina rose from the bed and turned to her dresser to find Emma some clothes. She was almost too distracted to remember the broken glass on the floor. She was about to step on the mess before she remembered, quickly sidestepping to avoid it. She really had some cleaning up to do around her house today.

She pulled open the drawer and dug through it in search of an old shirt and a pair of pants for Emma to wear. Finding an old silky, blue blouse and a simple pair of black trousers for Emma, Regina turned back to Emma and gave her the outfit.

"Be quick, Mary Margaret is probably going frantic downstairs waiting for you," Regina said, exiting the room.

Regina tightened her robe and walked back downstairs. She got to the bottom of the large, winding staircase to find an empty loveseat. She swore under her breath.

"Mary Margaret!" she called, running to the dining room.

"Regina," the raven haired woman answered in a harsh tone. She entered the dining room, Emma's soggy clothing from the night before dripping from her hands. "What is this?" Mary Margaret asked, raising the bunch.

"That... those are... Emma's," she managed to say.

"Well, I gathered that. Why were they on the floor over there?" she demanded.

Regina didn't know why she was so anxious it's not like she had a reason to be; she did nothing wrong. She had no idea how to respond so she just said, "because."

"Because why?"

"Emma fell in the pool and got soaked," she blurted. Why am I lying? She thought. It's not like I couldn't tell the truth. I didn't do anything wrong. She's going to be able to tell; the clothes don't even smell like chlorine.

"Oh, really?" Mary Margaret asked, holding the sopping lump of clothing farther away from her body.

"Hey, mom, Regina," Emma interrupted, entering the room.

"Oh, Emma! You're okay! Come here!" Mary Margaret exclaimed, running to Emma and wrapping her daughter in a tight embrace.

"Mom, you're squeezing me really tight." Emma laughed.

Regina smiled at the mother-daughter affection. She thought of her own mother and how she would have never been like this. At least Emma had a good mother.

"Well, I have to get going to Mr. Gold's shop soon so I need to go get ready," Regina spoke up, interrupting the peaceful moment.

"We should get going too," Mary Margaret said. "David and Henry will be so happy that you're safe." She smiled at Emma. Mary Margaret and Emma walk to the door, Regina just behind them.

"Mom, you can go ahead and start the car up. I'd like to say something to Regina," Emma told her mother. Mary Margaret nodded and walked away to her car.

"What would you like to say to me?" Regina raised an eyebrow curiously.

"Thank you," Emma said, wrapping her arms around the brunette in front of her. Regina was surprised at first but soon relaxed and melted into the hug, smiling.

"Anytime." Regina smiled, widely. "I had fun, actually."

"So did I." Emma grinned back. She leaned into Regina and planted a small peck on her cheek, just beside her smiling mouth. Butterflies swirled in Regina's stomach.

"Emma, any day now!" Mary Margaret's voice sounded from the car, breaking the silence.

Emma pulled Regina back into the embrace. She turned to walk out the door but Regina, feeling a sudden urge of confidence, caught her wrist before she could go.  Regina pulled her in close and pressed her lips to Emma's. Their lips were awkward at first but soon meshed together comfortably. Her lips were warm and soft. The kiss lasted only seconds until Emma bounced away to her mother in the car.

"What's got you so happy?" she asked when Emma slid into the car, a wide grin spanning from ear to ear.

"Nothing." Emma sunk into the seat as her mother began to drive back home. She gazed out the window, the kiss playing over and over again in her mind. "Nothing," she muttered.

A/N: I might end the story here, I'm not sure.  If you guys really want me to continue or have any ideas, let me know.  Thanks for reading. :)