Chapter One

I really don't enjoy the attendance of 5 Seconds of Summer. I feel as though they have ruined my capability of learning. They didn't really, but no one could pay much attention in class because they were always there. All four of them were in every single one of my classes. What was this? I wasn't one to crave for attention, yet, one of the two blondes persistently pestered me.

Like right now for instance. Me and the four boys had science together. I was lab partners with all four of them, two lab tables squished together and an individual desk added on the corner. I hadn't even learned their names yet and it was the second day of school, in which I had class with them all day.

They addressed the dark haired one as Calum. The one that sat in the individual desk had multicolored hair. The dirty blonde sat across from me with Calum by his side. And finally, the annoying one sat next to me. They knew my name, calling it out whenever they could.

I ignored them. Just like I ignored everyone else.

"Cheyanne. Please talk to us, Cheyanne." The boy next to me whines. "No, Calum," I whispered.

I gathered my map pencils closer to me. One rolls off the table and I lean over to get it and bump heads with mystery boy. "I'm not Calum. I'm Luke." He points to the dark-haired boy. "That's Calum."

I nod, acting as if I cared.

"Why don't you talk, love?" Luke questioned. The shrill ring of the bell saved me from having to answer and I collected my things and bolted out the door. But it wasn't like I could escape them for long, we did have eight periods together.

I walked to my locker and put away the materials I used. I had gym next and we weren't doing anything there, it was only the second day. I didn't even have my uniform. Afterwards was lunch in the library.

I got to gym, ready to take my seat in roll call, when the counselor and the coach pulled me over. "Cheyanne Levine?" Meekly, I walked over to them. "Cheyanne. I am sorry to cause you any inconvenience, but you're being switched from gym to library assistant for the first semester."

I shrug, not really bothered. "Go meet Mrs. Luebke in the library, your partner will be there also." I nod at her and the coach and walk out of the gymnasium.

The halls are silent, as I go to the library. Mrs. Luebke stood with a boy, both of their backs to me. But I recognized that shirt anywhere. I had seen him three other times today. Luke Hemmings.

Mrs. Luebke turns and smiles when she sees me. "Cheyanne! Welcome! I'm sorry if you wanted to take gym, I just really enjoyed your company last year and wanted you all to myself again." She praised me. I had worked here last year during homeroom.

"So, you know the drill. Would you mind showing Luke here, the basics? I'm going on a coffee run." She asks. I nod and she flutters away. I turn and go into the back office, ready to do my usual routine. No way I was showing Luke the basics.

I couldn't believe that out of all the people in gym, Luke was to be my partner.

I flinched when I felt a hand touch my shoulder. "Cheyanne. If we're gonna be partners, you have to talk to me." Luke says, his voice dripping in accent. I resist the urge to run away. "Just... follow my lead." I mutter, inaudibly.

"What?" He asks.

I look at him, desperately, wishing he understood. I wasn't going to talk to him, he wasn't supposed to talk to me. I prayed he got my message soon, because I felt myself slowly chipping, breaking under his patronizing gaze.

I turn back to alphabetizing the fiction books by author on the cart in front of me. In one swift motion, I'm turned around, causing me to drop a hardback copy of Jenny Han's The Summer I Turned Pretty.