Chapter Six

I stared at look for about two seconds before grabbing my cardigan off the back off the chair and taking off. I heard the scraping of his chair as I ran through the rush of customers and waitresses in the full restaurant. I push past a confused Marion and open the doors, stepping out into the fresh air.

I felt like I was suffocating in there.

"You don't know about feelings. I mean, you musn't, you cut yourself. What kind of person does that?"

The stanza ran around in my head over and over as I tried to breathe. I didn't know anything about feelings? I knew more about feelings than he did. Wo was the one constantly feeling the crack of a leather belt against the back of her legs. The sharp slap across the face, a tug or a pull on her hair. Who was being sold to other men just so she could have someplace to live? Who had lost her virginity, became dirty, unwanted and self-loathing? I did! I did I did!

When a hand clamped around my shoulder I turned on my heel. "Chey-"

I covered my ears. "No. No. No! Don't say anything!" I cried. Luke tried grabbing me again, but I took a step back. "No! No!" I shook my head. I couldn't stop myself when I let the tears run dpwn my face. Luke's face softened at the meer sight of it.

"Cheyanne." he repeated softly. I looked at him desperately. I wanteed him to tell me anything at all, anything that would make me forgive him, because as much as I hated him, he was the only thing that kept me from leaving. Sure I had known him for a couple weeks, but boy, in those couple weeks he had been a dick, sweet, rude, challenging, and mean. He meant nothing and anyting at all and I have no idea, but I needed his reassurance.

"Cheyanne. I'm sorry. Let me take you home." Luke said.

He started walking to his car and I looked at him. Let me take you home? That's it? This was the first and last time I was ever going anywhere with Luke Hemmings.

I wiped my eyes and ran to catch up with Luke and his long strides. He hastily opened up the door, leaving me to open my own, unlike before. I slid in. What was he mad about? He wasn't insulted. I was.

I stared out the window the whole way to my house. Luke jabbed at the radio buttons frequently, not quite pleased with the music the stations were playing. Finally, he slammed his index finger hard into the power button so hard, I heard it crack and he spouted, "Damn!"

I flinch when he slams his fist into the steering wheel, causing the horn to beep. He sticks his finger in his mouth, sucking lightly.

I'm cowering against the door when Luke pulls the car up to my curb. I am quick to try to open my door. Luke locks the door. I look at him and snap open the lock again and open the door. I am halfway up the sidewalk when Luke's hand wraps around my arm.

"Be ready tomorrow. I'll pick you up at seven thirty for class." Luke says. I look at him, astonished. "You think that after today I'll go with you anywhere? You must be delusional." I snatch my arm free and continue walking.

"Cheyanne, please."

"No, Luke. Forget it." I snap. I race my way up the rest of the walk and push open the door, leaving a confused Luke outside.

"Bout time you came inside, slut." Logan says from his spot on the couch, watching college football. "Was the bus late?" he asks. I scrunch my eyes at the clock and nod, realizing how late it really is and how time does fly when you're having..... fun. "Yeah. Sorry." I add, going along with the perfect lie.

"I'm just going to go upstairs," I say slowly, gripping the railing. Logan nods, tilting his beer back. "Don't forget, you have a job tonight." He said. Bitch killed my vibe. I nod and turn on my heel. I clomp up the stairs, taking out my anger on both, Logan and Luke. 

"Don't give your father that attitude, missy." My mom says from the top of stairs. I stare back up at her. "What attitude?" I snap. She cocks an eyebrow at me, "Be smart with your language, young lady." I stare at her until she disappears and I continue up the flight of stairs. 

I nearly rip away the gauzy curtain from my door frame trying to get it out of my face. I fail and am soon entangled in the meshy material. 

"Fuck!" I yell, the same time someone else yells, "FUCK!" 

The slamming of a cup downstairs scares me. "Dammit, Logan. The maid had just cleaned up the living room!"  Logan's laugh roars up the stairs. "Calm down Margret! It's nothing but a little beer!" I hear my mom sigh and the tell-tale swish of a mop.

In the evening I dress in my usual attire for "my job".

I go downstairs, wobbilingy slightly, my legs were sore.

Logan smiled at me. "Look at you, all grown up. You're so lucky to have me and your mother. Without us, you would be on the streets!"  Without you, I'd have a life and some friends.

I manage as much as a smile as I can. 

I get to drive myself, like a good girl, and as I'm sitting at a red light downtown, I almost have a heart attack when I read the slip with all the information.

Holiday Inn, 38905 Fuqua and 290

Room 724

Ask for Luke Hemmings

I stare at the piece of paper for a long while and put the car in gear only when a car honks its horn behind me. I pull over.

Luke Hemmings

------

I feel like I put too much in this chapter, and if this nothing, no votes no comments, I might delete it and rewrite it, if that's okay with you guys, because your opinions really do matter cx