Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The sun had risen to the midway point in the sky and was shining directly down on us through the branches of the trees. The light creating little patterns of light on the forest floor. All around us the birds were chirping, creating a joyful sound as they flitted through the trees. Every once in a while a rabbit or two would dash across our path. Earlier that morning Fiona and I had, to our delight, stumbled across a deer and her fawn eating next to the path. They looked up at us as we passed before the mother quickly dashed away after nudging her baby to go ahead of her.

"Mayhap we should stop Fiona. Surely we are far enough away that my family will not find us today. We must sleep. We hardly got any rest last night before we left. Pretty soon we will nae be able to continue without falling off our horses' backs. And I have nae desire to have to walk around with a sore bum, much less a broken limb."

Fiona glanced over at me and nodded. "Aye ye are right. Let's ride until we find a place that may be able to get the horses out of sight as well."

We continued down the path until we spotted a large grove of trees a small distance off of the path. The trees were close enough together that it would hide all of us from anyone's sight unless they came closer to investigate. Once both Fiona and I agreed that it was the perfect spot we directed the horses in that direction.

After we had tethered the horses to a tree, Fiona tore a piece of bread off of a loaf she had retrieved from the bag and I sliced a piece of cheese from the block with my dagger. We split each of them between us and began to eat.

" Here's to finally being free!" I said and held my bread out to Fiona's.

"Aye and here's to hopefully having a better life from now on," she touched her bread to mine in a mock toast.

After I finished eating I stood up.

"I am going to go walk around and see if I can find a stream nearby that we can get water from. I'm sure the horses are vera thirsty as well," Fiona simply gave me a careless shrug from where she was laying down on the soft green grass. I decided to take Angus along with me and so I headed over to him and grabbed his lead rope.

"Come on boy let's go see if we cannae find us some water to quench our thirst," he neighed and tossed his head up in the air as if he was saying that he agreed with me. He then knocked his head into my shoulder, gently shoving me forward causing me to stumble a few steps before I regained my balance.

"Och! Calm yourself your crazy creature. I'm going, I'm going," I laughed at his antics and started to walk farther into the forest while making note of the landmarks I passed so that I would remember the way back to our campsite.

After we had walked for a while I heard the sound of trickling water, followed it and I soon discovered a beautiful stream of delicious looking water. Angus trotted ahead of me to the edge and shoved his nose in the water. As he was chugging water I walked a bit more serenely than him to the water. I got down on my knees and began to scoop water into my hands that I then carried up to my mouth. I did this several more times before my thirst was quenched.

I sat down on my arse and leaned back, tilting my face toward the sun. After Angus had consumed his fill of water he laid down next to me. I looked over at him, scooting closer before I leaned my side against his shoulder.

"I do nae ken what I would do without ye Angus," I whispered softly in his ear. He turned his head towards me and nudged my shoulder as if to say that he felt the same way.

We sat there in silence for a while just studying the water as it trickled downstream. I loved watching how the sun shone down and created abstract patterns of light that seemed to almost dance on the surface of the water. It was a magnificent sight to see.

"Weel dear Angus, I believe that it mayhap be time to head back to camp," a moan slipped out as I stood up, the muscles in my back protesting the movement. "I'm sure Fiona is thinking that we must have fallen in the river. I do nae want her to decide to come search for us."

I lightly tugged on his hair and he was immediately on his feet, ready to follow wherever I would lead.

As we headed back to the campsite I thought all about how I couldn't wait to see what adventures would lay in waiting for my companions and I. I was definitely looking forward to experiencing new things on the journey ahead.

AN~ Hope you guys enjoy! I edited this some today. It was crazy how many grammar mistakes and sentence structure errors I found. I wrote this about a year and a half ago lols.
.
see you guys later!!!-
-
-
~Alayna~