Chapter 3: Mufasa

Mufasa's POV

"Mother!" I called out, seeing her back towards us.

"Mufasa!" She smiled as she pulled him in for a hug. "Taka." She said, as she hugged him too. "I need you boys to get ready for the upcoming ball."

I groaned. This topic again . . .

"Stop that! You're just like your father." She huffed. "You need to find a lioness. You can't be single forever."

I saw Taka's smug expression as I got the brute of this conversation from Mother.

"Mother, I will find someone." I said, hoping that she'll drop this conversation.

"Good. Now I need you boys to help me choose which one looks better." She held up two different decorations.

"Left." I said at the same time Taka had said, "right."

She groaned. "You two are so unhelpful!"

"Whatever is the problem?" A voice boomed. It was Father.

"Dear, which one looks better?" She asked again.

"Whichever you think looks best." He smiled.

"Ooh, maybe I'll use both!" She said more to herself as she headed off in the other direction.

"Sons." Mufasa called to attention.

"Father," Taka and I said in unison.

"I hope that both of you will find someone at the ball. Marriage can wait but I want you to find a girl."

"Yes, Father." I said as Taka nodded his head.

"Good. Now off you go."

Dismissing the both of us, we went separate ways. I went to my room, walking back and forth thinking. What should I get for Sarabi? If I'm going to propose, I need something. I can't go empty handed.

"Troubled, Prince Mufasa?" Zazu flapped in. He always came in at the right time. It was as if he knew I would be needing help.

I sighed. "What should I get her, Zazu?"

Zazu stood on the windowsill, leaning against the wall. "Maybe some flowers?"

"Flowers?" I asked. I knew Sarabi wasn't the type to care for things like that, but considering the situation, she might think differently.

As if he knew how unsure I was, Zazu suggested another. "How about some food? All the females here are always doing the hunting. She might think differently of you if you hunted an animal for her. Show off your skills and how capable you are. Very romantic." He drawled.

It actually didn't sound like a bad idea. "She does like antelope."

"She will love it. It is coming from you, after all, the next king."

I smiled. Zazu was the one I can turn to for help. He's always been there. "Thanks Zazu."