Chapter 4: Hyena

In my version, I decided it was best to have only one Hyena instead of the trio in the Lion King since it seemed better suited.

------------------------------------

Taka's POV

After Father dismissed Mufasa and me, I headed to my favorite spot: the Elephant Graveyard. It was a nice quiet place. It was a little darker than the rest of the Pride Lands, but no one ventured to it. They were afraid, but I couldn't blame them. I was afraid at first too, but then I met a friend.

I had met him while playing tag with Sarabi and Mufasa, but I ended up going too far. Before I knew it, I was in front of a elephant skull. I was going to head back but then I heard a noise. I wasn't sure if I heard whimpering or not? But I was curious. I peaked in through the skull and saw a little hyena around my age. "Hello?" I got his attention fast because he stopped whatever noise he was making. He looked at me and began laughing. Finding this hyena entirely crazy, I frowned. "What's so funny?"

The hyena seemed to be hiding some of mischief in his eyes as he responded. "Oh nothing much, but if you want to know, you have to come here." It said almost lazily.

I hesitated at first but decided to check what was so funny. And when I came close enough, I saw him staring at bones that were arranged in a funny way. I looked at the hyena, and the hyena laughed.

"You don't see it?" He laughed.

"See what?" I asked this strange creature.

"It looks like an zebra with silly buck teeth!" He laughed again.

This time I looked at the bones trying to see what he saw, and I did. I ended laughing with him until we had both calmed down. I smiled at him. "I'm Taka. What's your name?"

The hyena smiled. "Hyena."

My face was scrunched up a bit, puzzled. "Hyena?"

He nodded. "That's what I go by." And he laughed again.

And from then on, we became friends.

. . .

"Hey!" Hyena shouted. " I heard from a little birdie that the two princes are planning to propose to Sarabi. Is it true?"

I sighed and nodded my head. "Of course, Zazu couldn't keep his bird beak shut."

"Really?!" He laughed. "Oh, this is too good! I can't believe it! Ooh, Sarabi is gonna get the shock of her life! She probably doesn't even know that both her friends have feelings for her!" He laughed in between sentences.

I ignored his comment as I walked around, trying to think of a nice gift for Sarabi.

"Oh, you know what would be even better! Sarabi chose Mufasa because he'll be king! Imagine that! She'll be queen!"

Tired of him, I groaned. "Why can't you be helpful and help me figure out what I should give to Sarabi?"

"Me?" He paused. "What do you think I can do? I'm just a hyena. A stupid one." He laughed.

"I don't know . . . Think of something. Anything! What around here can be used?"

Hyena picked at some bones lazily. "I don't know . . . Bones, rock, dirt, dead grass . . ." He listed.

"Exactly! Nothing!" I huffed, growing irritated.

Hyena picked at the ground some more before throwing another suggestion. "Why not use these bones and carve her something?"

I gave him a strange look. "Bones? Why not rocks?"

Hyena shrugged. "Rocks will work fine too I guess."

"But then what should I carve?"

"Don't look at me. You know her better than me."

"Sarabi," I whispered. "I'll carve Sarabi."

Hyena stopped picking at the ground and looked up. "Sarabi?"

"Yes," I thought. "I just hope my carving will do her justice."