Surprises

I walked away from my humiliation as quickly as possible, trying not to limp. Now that I was standing, it wasn't so bad, but I also knew if I stopped, I'd fall. Then, there's no telling when I'd be able to stand up again. I wanted to be well away from those assholes before that happened. Stumbling around the guildhall, I slumped against the wall and slid down behind some bushes. Damn, that lightning hurts. No one should be able to see me, so I closed my eyes, just for a minute.

Opening my eyes, I saw that it was nearly dark. Well, there's that whole day wasted. I started to stand and realized there was a pile of metal by my leg. I looked around to see if anyone was nearby, but the yard was empty. Taking a deep breath, I caught the faint smell of paper and ink. Upon closer inspection, I could see that the metal was made out of letters.

"Well, that's strange... Letters?" I picked up the metal and sniffed it again.

"Ah, that's right. That's the shrimp's smell." I didn't recognize it at first because the smell of her goons wasn't mixed in. Man, she smells good. There's something fruity to her unique smell. I shook myself. Why do I care what she smells like? I took a few bites of the metal, realizing it was iron. "Mmm, strawberries." Iron and strawberry? Interesting. I'd never been able to get flavors in the metal before.

"I guess I should get goin' on this job, then." I was talking to myself mostly because I wanted to talk to somebody. I kept to myself around the guildhall, using sarcasm when I did need to speak to someone. I've made myself out to be an idiot for so long, it's kind of second nature now. The dumber people think I am, the easier they are to manipulate. But, you don't become strong and survive in a guild like Phantom without a brain, so I've studied and learned a lot of diverse skills. Somehow Jose never caught on.

"The hell? Mentoring kids? Geez Gajeel, what've ya gotten yerself into now?" I ate the rest of the iron and stood up, sticking the flier back in my bag. "Well, may as well get to it." I stomped off in the direction of my job. The iron from the little wizard really helped my energy level. I shouldn't be up and moving already, as beat as I was by the lighting bastard. Maybe because it was created by magic?

I walked up to the building housing my job, and beat on the door. It kind of looked like an old warehouse. I thought about trying to look less mean, but decided against it. That is, until the door was opened. A timid little girl peeked around the door with big green eyes. Immediately, I squatted down to her level. I'm not huge on kids, but I don't really like making them cry, either. "Hey girlie, is your mom or dad here? Or your teacher? Or... Why are you crying?!" She'd burst into tears as I mentioned parents. Oh great, what now?! I saw someone pull the girl away from the door, and an angry young man whipped it open, trying to see what caused her tears.

This new kid and the little girl smelled similar, like they could be related. It could just be because they lived in this building together. I don't know exactly. Scents are a funny thing. As I processed all of this, I had stood back up. I smelled the underlying fear in this boy, as he took in my height, and my piercings that normally scared people. I've been told my red eyes are unnerving, too. I had to give the kid props though. He may have been afraid, but he was still blocking the doorway, and putting on a good face.

"I'm here about the mentoring job?" I raised an eyebrow at him. "Is the adult who posted it here?" The boy pushed his red hair out of his face, and puffed out his chest. "I posted it... But how do I know you're an official wizard?" I turned so he could see the guild mark on my shoulder, watching his eyes widen in surprise. He looked me over again, and for some reason decided I wasn't a threat anymore. When he stepped back from the door, I took it as an invitation, and walked inside. Then it was my turn to be surprised.