Chapter 12

He rose early in the morning and prepared the things he would need in the journey. Going to Mr. Middleton's home is a long journey for it was in London. He thought that the man might want to stay with his family but he is certain that there was a plan to return with him. It was the reason why he would come with him.

Even if he knew that his mother would not approve, he cooked their breakfast. It was not long when his mother appeared with Grandma Cramwell. After sitting the older woman on a chair, his mother tugged him close and told him to talk with his grandmother. She ran her fingers to push his forelocks.

"How's your sleep Grandma?" he asked amiably.

"It's fine, I slept well... Mary, have cherub left? I don't see him around."

"Zach is in front of you."

How could his grandmother not recognize him? Does her eyes were that bad already? But she has her glasses on. And it was then he noticed that his mother seemed to be nervous for her hands gripped the other and shook.

Grandma Cramwell squinted her eyes to him, cocked her head sideways, brows knitted, and face soured as the lines on her face hardened. She cupped his face between her bony hands as her thumbs brushed his cheeks. Then she gasped and threw a surprised look on his mother.

"My, it's a miracle! It's a miracle! Oh cherub, your eyes are red no more!" she exclaimed tearfully.

Stupefied by the old woman's claims, he stared at his mother and thought how could that happened. How did a mere imagination change the reality of his condition? Was this true? Or his Grandma's eyes were just seriously that bad already? Questions. Questions. Questions.

His grandmother's spirits were utterly high at that time and profusely thanked the Heavens. She also mentioned that the service he rendered to the chapel helped a lot. Being unable to come with him outside because of gout, Grandma Cramwell kissed his head, blessed him, and wished for his safety. He hugged her in return but his thoughts were still locked on his grandmother's mistake in his eyes. He had looked on the looking glass in her room and even through the hazy image, he clearly saw that his eyes were still red. Nothing changed.

"What happened?" he articulated his thoughts when he was outside with his mother.

"To what?"

"Back there, she said its red no more but it's still the same. Nothing really changed."

"I'm glad you obeyed me."

"What did that have to do with this?"

She sighed. "Your father had the same color as yours, but he told me that in the eyes of the others, they're different. He said he wore illusions and I thought being his son, you can do the same. I've had no doubt that your ability to heal yourself was from him. It's same as that."

That fast self-restoration was kept between them and no one ever found out about it, even Grandma Cramwell. No one really knew him well except for his mother and father. Now, he added eye-illusion on his peculiarities as a human. He knew that he did not have to understand, he just went with it.

These things were never deemed normal. It made all his mother's anxieties understandable. People are generally and naturally prejudice.

He moved enveloping her in a hug. "You're a great mother. Being able to bear mothering a freak," he whispered.

Then she jerked off from his arms and her eyes were wide. "I just remembered something... aye, aye... You wait...don't leave yet," she said with frantic hand gesture as she jogged back into the house.