Chapter 16

It took a few hours but eventually Jack and Kaiden were called back to the room. Rowan was practically glowing with pride, a fierce protectiveness in his eyes as the door opened before the man relaxed.

"Shh. She's asleep." He murmured while motioning towards the crib, a small form lying underneath a pink blanket. Beside the crib, Chris was smiling tiredly, one hand leaning over to grace his daughter's rosy cheek.

Jack smiled, tiptoeing closer before he leaned over to look in the basinet and smiled. The little girl was holding tight on her daddy's finger, a slight frown on her face that quickly relaxed when Chris' thumb brushed over her cheek.

"She's beautiful." Jack murmured softly, glancing over his shoulder when he felt his mate press against him, looking down at the infant as well. "She is." Kaiden nodded. "Congratulations you guys, a baby girl. That's going to be different huh?" He added while gently touching the tuft of dark hair.

Both parents chuckled warmly, quieting down as the little one made a distressed sound and scrunched her nose up. "She's going to be spoiled rotten. Our little princess." Rowan whispered before kissing his mate on the forehead.

Jack was star struck with the little infant and Kaiden loved it! He knew his little mate still had a few doubts but the newborn was washing them all away one by one. As he glanced down, he saw the curiosity and want in Jack's eyes grow more and more and he grinned to himself.

Deciding to give the mated couple their space, Kaiden gently brushed over Jack's arm, making his mate look up at him curiously. "Come on, I think they deserve some time alone." Kaiden whispered conspiringly, motioning with his chin towards Chris as the man's head slowly tilted back and forth with sleepiness, making Rowan chuckle softly.

Jack nodded, fingers intertwining with Kaiden's as the wolf tugged him out of the room and led him through the rest of the surroundings. Occasionally they would stop and greet some of the local wolves, the pups always yipping and arching their invitation to play.

By the time they hit their beds, Jack was exhausted yet smiling happily. His mate cuddled him closer, inhaling deeply before Kaiden rubbed his nose over Jack's throat. Briefly the boy wondered how it would feel like to have life grow in his belly. To wake up to the loud cheering of children greeting him as a father.

A daddy... Jack's heart pinched at the thought of being greeted by his own child, to sooth them of their fears and cheer with their victories. And judging by the warm palm rubbing soothing circles over his stomach, his wolf was thinking the same.

Jack fell asleep under Kaiden's warm and gentle touches, feeling cherished, treasured as his eyes slipped shut. By the time he woke up, their positions had reversed and Jack was just about curled up on top of Kaiden, face buried in the wolf's throat and legs tangled together.

He felt sleepy but not enough to close his eyes again. Just a nice, calm state of mind, a lazy feeling that settled in his bones as he leaned back to look at Kaiden. He didn't move from his mate, not that he could; Kaiden's arms were curled loosely around his hips but would flex with the slightest hint of movement from Jack.

Letting his fingers wander on their own, Jack used the time to think about what he wanted and what the future might hold. He watched as goose bumps raised wherever his fingers went, chasing the digits down.

Jack let out a silent chuckle as Kaiden growled lowly in his sleep, turning into the touch. His fingers got bolder, pressing down a bit firmer while the boy smiled in awe at the fact that he was doing this. He was making Kaiden react to him.

It wasn't until he felt warm flesh poking his thigh that he realized just how much he was affecting Kaiden and blushed. By then the wolf was long awake, keeping his eyes shut and forcing himself not to smirk.