Chapter 6

Kaiden was grinning, as Jack's eyes seemed to flash from one point to another, constantly checking where the werewolf was before his eyes seemed to be pulled back to his pack. Well, not exactly Kaiden's pack, he was simply a part of it.

After tugging Jack out of Verona's house, the wolf had gently guided him down the swirling paths that lead all the way from the witch's house down to the sturdy wooden cabins deep in the forest.

Several wolves had already spotted them but stayed at a polite distance, giving young Jack the time and space to let everything sink in. They already knew that the boy was soon to be one of them. Mated into the wolfpack.

But still, Jack could feel their eyes on him, causing him to jut his chin up, his full lips pulling into a thin line while he withdrew behind his walls. Jack already knew he was different to the humans of his village and how they reacted to that.

It was becoming very clear to Kaiden that Jack was expecting the pack to do their worse; to fulfill whatever lies and false facts the superstitious bigots of Jack's former town had whispered in his ears.

The man gritted his teeth while the wolf inside growled and paced from side to side. There would be no such thing in this pack, ever! His people saw Jack's discoloration as a gift from the moon and everyone, including their leaders, had already accepted the boy in their hearts.

He was happy with their Alpha pair, a couple that had lead them through good and bad times. They always took care of the pack first before they looked at their own desires and that was what made their pack so healthy and strong.

Kaiden's eyes were pulled down at the sharp contrast between his own sun kissed skin on top of Jack's pale and unblemished skin. Brushing his thumb over Jack's slender fingers, he noticed with amused curiosity that a small trail of goosebumps spread over the soft skin and Kaiden had to bite a smirk back as Jack shivered slightly.

As their eyes met, Kaiden had to suppress the more primal desires from his wolf as he noticed the flush on Jack's cheeks, or the way the boy was glancing up at him through his lashes. The wolf inside was preening with pride, knowing that it had captured his mate's attention and that their mate liked what they were looking at.

But as Kaiden observed Jack closely, a small frown crawled on his face before he gently tugged Jack along, moving towards his house. When Jack softly inquired where they were going, Kaiden couldn't help but smile reassuringly at the skittish boy.

"At my house; I can't believe I didn't notice before that your clothes are close to tearing at the seams. You can borrow something of mine." The werewolf chuckled as Jack flushed yet again and plucked at a loose tread.

"I didn't have any money to buy new clothes, or pay the hunters for supplies." Jack muttered with a frown, feeling slightly defensive. It wasn't his fault that the villagers seemed to hate him so much that they'd rather see him freeze to death.

As if reading his thought, Jack could see the larger man looking down at him before a soft growl slipped from his lips. "Those villagers really had it out for you, didn't they?" he growled in annoyance when Jack's face grew stoic and blank before the boy shrugged. "I deserved it, I guess." Jack whispered under his breath, unaware that Kaiden could perfectly hear what he was saying.

In that moment, Kaiden's wolf roared in his head before it took control and spun Jack around so that they were pressed chest to chest, their faces only a breath away. "Don't ever say or think that again! Those villagers are so full of themselves and of their ridiculous superstitions that they harm and even kill innocents."

Jack had to tilt his head back to look up at the man towering above him. With each breath they took, he felt Kaiden's abs and pectorals brush against the thin cloth that separated their skin. It was safe to say that Jack was more than a bit distracted.