Epilogue

The chilly autumn wind picked up, twisting his cape around his legs and pulling at his white hairs before Jack pulled up his hood.

Excited crowing and piercing laughter sounded up ahead, from where Kaiden was strutting through the forest with Jayden firmly on the wolf's back, both men enjoying their usual walk.

A smile curled Jack's lips as he eyed the loves of his life with endearment. Each time he spotted Kaiden interacting with their son, holding him and treasuring him, it made his heart melt just a bit more.

It had been almost a year since Jack had stumbled his way into Kaiden's life, when he gave birth to Jayden and found his place in the pack.

Jayden himself was growing almost too fast for Jack's taste, wanting to cherish his son's baby years. Though his heart melted whenever those green eyes found him, a now toothy smile always beaming up at him.

Their son was quite a happy and smiling boy, even if he was destined to be a higher ranking wolf. He laughed with everything, was always in a pleasant mood and whenever Jack or Kaiden went to wake their son from his nap, no matter how groggy or half asleep the boy was, he'd greet his parents with a brilliant grin.

Still, the reminder of that one night where Jayden had howled his lungs out as if in agony, inconsolable even wrapped in Jack and Kaiden's arms, still troubled Jack.

The wind howled past him, as if shoving Jack ahead and he shivered, brushing his hands over his arms. Soon enough the weather would be too cold to enjoy their walks, but at least Jayden would have his first encounter with the snow.

Jack grinned at the idea before smiling as the gorgeous brown wolf approached with a steady gate, the child on its back dozing off.

They both had no idea how Jayden managed to cling onto Kaiden's fur whenever he fell asleep, but the boy has never fallen off his father's back so far.

"He's out, like a light." Kaiden murmured lovingly, waiting until Jack had safely wrapped their son against his chest before shaking his fur out.

Jack smiled down at his son and brushed his lips over a chubby cheek. "I think it's your fur, my love." He replied pensively, reaching out his own hand to brush through Kaiden's thickening fur.

The wolf panted happily as Jack added, "You know, each time we have an issue putting Jayden asleep, all we need to do is let him crawl all over your wolf and he's out before we know it."

Kaiden chuckled gruffly, most likely remembering all the nights where Jayden had indeed fallen asleep while snuggling up to his father's wolf.

Though, they had learned their lesson and made sure that Jayden's hands were clean before he went anywhere near his father's pelt.

Sticky little hands and fur didn't mix well, as Kaiden had discovered after his son had managed to turn his thick and luscious fur into a strawberry covered matted mess.

A sound further in the forest made them both snap out of their memories. A small herd of deer stomped their hooves and dashed away while Kaiden tracked them with their eyes.

"Go." Jack ushered his mate softly, nudging the wolf with his thigh. "You know as well as I do that the pack needs all the resources they can before the winter strikes."

Kaiden huffed, not liking the idea of leaving Jack alone in the forest before nuzzling him gently. "Call for me if anything happens."

The wolf bounded after his quarry and Jack smiled, checking to see if Jayden was securely strapped before continuing his walk.

He'd head to their cabin soon enough but Jack wanted to enjoy the forest for a bit longer, possibly wait until Kaiden had managed to fell a deer or two.