Chapter 33

Skylar on the other hand, had been even busier that week than anyone else. She had already been to visit Julius in the hospital as a family friend of Angelo’s, which he hadn’t questioned, and taken the liberty of making sure he became healthy again. Thankfully, his heart was just as healthy as his brain was and understood her mystical words, smiling up at her as the doctor arrived to check on him. She spoke similar words to his doctor and consultant before leaving in the hope that something would work out. She met up with Link twice during the week, once to find out how Julius was feeling after her eighty minute round trip and again to find out how Paige and Danny’s wedding plans were going, after hearing a rumour from Pepper that they had almost broken up. Thankfully, the news was always good. Julius was improving on a risky, newly approved research treatment that the consultant had found, thanks to her influence and Danny and Paige’s ‘break up’ was nothing more than a family disagreement between his parents and hers, as to what their wedding would be. But the couple had found the courage to stand up and have their voices heard, claiming that neither family would get to plan their wedding and that they were the only ones to make decisions. It all sounded good.

Unfortunately for Skylar, the situation with Ryan hadn’t improved. She was emotional every time she saw him and he was quiet and withdrawn, afraid to say or do anything that would hurt her or remind her that he wanted to be so much more than her friend. It was difficult for them to be around each other but at the same time, there was a comfort that came from being together, even if it was just in silence. And over the week, they had started studying together, even though he knew that she had no classes due to her job. They talked a lot, about other people and the non romantic part of their lives. They talked about Ruby and Waldo renewing their relationship, Pepper and Devin having argued over what he said to her and how it had influenced her decision to break off what they were experiencing.

Meanwhile, she continued her job. She had taken care of Joachim’s problem in one part, but there was a very big part of his life that was still interfering with his life with Eliza and their relationship. She had been a busy girl over the past week but still, she had only managed to find a solution to the problem but not act on it. The actual event that would solve it, wouldn’t happen for perhaps another day. But while she was waiting for that to happen, Jacob’s proposal to Sasha went exactly as she had hoped and she was much happier to let the week lie as it was. Things were unravelling fast and with Raya enjoying the independence of her candy striper job, Joey’s happiness was taken care of without her having to do anything and Julius and Silvia were so proud of her and how happy she and Paige were, that there was nothing she could do other than sit back and wait.

Little did she know that the event she thought would take a few days to happen, was actually going to happen that night, in the small hours of the morning, though no-one currently knew about it. The events were already in place to make it happen and no-one realised that everyone involved knew nothing about how their plans would result in the ultimate make or break situation to resolve Joachim and Eliza’s biggest problem. Ryan in particular had plans of his own that morning, waiting around the corner from the chapel after hearing that she had disappeared there about ten minutes before, but the waiting was getting too much for him and after another ten minutes had passed he was really feeling the heat. He had been desperate to see her for hours, the distance was getting to him and without some contact from her he might just go insane. When he saw her making her way over, he took a deep breath and waited for the opportune moment, catching Skylar’s hand as she moved to pass by him, not wasting any time with words. The minute he had her alone and in his arms, where she belonged, he kissed her, unable to hold it back any longer as he backed her up against the wall and let his kisses do the talking.

He’d had enough of the distance between them and it was about time she faced facts, the more they were apart the more difficult it was for them to keep away from each other. It was a ridiculous idea and it wasn’t doing either of them any good, it was about time she accepted that. Skylar was caught off guard by him, even though she couldn’t refuse sinking into his arms and letting him convince her with his kisses. He was persuasive without them and she was finding it harder to bear with each day but the addition of his wonderful kisses and the way he treated her like he never treated anyone else, as if she were the only girl he had ever cared enough about to treat right. It was heavenly.