two

I'd arrived late to the party, I was supposed to meet my friend. She neglected to answer her phone, so I'd suspected she'd gone off with some guy. I was alone, surrounded by strangers, and people I only knew of by their first names. I put my hands in the pockets of my leather coat, feeling a little self conscious as I felt the stares of people gathered in the hallway. I finally made it to the back of the house and greeted the guy that was hosting the party, some guy from school. He'd been watching upon a game of beer pong being played on his dining table. He took me to the kitchen and poured me a drink, grape Fanta and vodka. I watched him carefully as he did so, in case he spiked me or something. I was always an overly paranoid person. I thanked him for my drink and sat on the edge of the couch in the corner of the lounge room.

What the fuck was I doing there. I always did that. I always went to any party that came up. I'd go with a group of my friends and they'd all go off with these guys from different schools, older guys, guys from out of town. Taking them into a bedroom, or anywhere out of sight.

And it would always be me, trying to talk my way into a group that looked nice enough, making some jokes, thinking that maybe I'd stay friends with these people. But that was it. They were always just people at a party. I'd always go back to school Monday, hearing the stories my friends had to tell, their wild escapades. And I was just the girl in the background. I was always the girl that was just there.

But then that night, that guy dressed in all black, with hair that almost matched the state of mine. Curly and unbrushed. He was laughing and carrying on with some guys that were taller than him.

And when he looked at me, I looked back, and he didn't look away. He smiled. I got shy and smiled down at my feet. When I looked up he was back to talking with his mates. Just another guy at a party, I thought.

I made my way to the bathroom, locking myself in. I called my friend again. She didn't pick up. So I texted my mum to come get me. She questioned me on why I wanted to leave already. I told her I didn't feel well. I sighed and looked at myself in the mirror. I wiped my finger under my eyes where my eyeliner had smudged just a little too much. I walked out of the bathroom and leaned against the wall in the hallway. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I just wanted to leave already.

"You good?" It was him. He was fucking beautiful.

"Yeah, all good." I chuckled slightly, feeling shy.

"What's your name?" He smiled, leaning his shoulder against the wall beside me.

"Tatiana, everyone calls me Tati though."

"I'm Matthew, but everyone calls me Matt, or Matty. I prefer Matty." I was so lost in him, I was drowning in him.

"So." I snapped back into reality, realising he was still standing there. Why was he still talking to me? "Why are you alone? And I mean that in a very non-creepy way." I laughed.

"I was supposed to meet my friend, but she isn't picking up her phone. I can guess what's got her caught up though."

"Ah, the classic hook-up at a party stunt, hey." I grinned at him.

This guy couldn't be all perfect, could he? He was attractive as hell, goofy, sarcastic, and just plain nice. What was his issue?

"I need a smoke. Wanna follow? Or you can stay here. Your choice."

"I'll come with." I walked behind him as we entered the backyard. A few people were strewn around the yard, none were really paying any attention. He stopped when we reached the corner of the house, he leant against the wall and lit his cigarette. I stood next to him.