Chapter Thirty-Four

The next day, Mara searched everywhere for Alex, but could not find her.

“Has anyone seen Alex?” Mara asked.

“I think she said she was going to the library,” Milo replied. He detected a slight panic in Mara’s voice and offered some comforting words. “I wouldn’t worry too much about Alex, she can take care of herself.”

“I know, but I’ve lost her once before and I don’t want to lose her again. If you ever have kids one day, you’ll discover that there’s no stronger bond than the love a parent has for their child.”

Milo and Aris followed Mara to the library. They spread out and combed through the maze of shelves. Sure enough, Alex was sitting alone in the science section surrounded by books.

“Found her,” Milo announced.

“You did? Was I lost?” Alex asked.

“Yeah, Mara was looking for you and was on the verge of having a panic attack.”

Alex picked herself off the ground and began putting away the books.

“What are you doing, Alex?” Mara asked.

“I was just doing some last-minute research before we head out.”

“Whenever you’re ready, I’ll show you the way.”

Alex and her friends walked with Mara down the dark tunnel to the next station, which was less than a kilometre away. Their footsteps echoed off the arched ceiling as they shuffled along the filthy cement, but was drowned out by aimless chatter. Among the thick stench of decaying garbage and human waste were scurrying critters that would avoid the light whenever it grazed their backs. Evidently, there were many other co-inhabitants that shared the underground tunnels with Mara’s squad.

They arrived at the next station and Mara climbed atop the old platform to activate a light switch located in a service room. A series of lights powered up in succession creating a buzzing sound of pulsating electricity. When the lights came on, they revealed dozens of exotic automobiles.

“Wow, great collection of vintage cars,” Aris said, admiring the beauty in their primitive designs.

The gang walked slowly around observing each of the outdated vehicles. There was a Ferrari Velocità, a pristine Lamborghini Vita, several off-road vehicles, and a collection of Ducati street bikes – all about a hundred years old.

“Do these still work?” Milo asked in astonishment.

“Yes, they’ve all been maintained very well. I think you’ll find these suitable to get you back to the city.”

Alex and Milo gravitated to the black Ferrari. They entered the vehicle and got acquainted with the mechanics.

“I hope nobody sees me in this thing?” Milo said.

“Why?”

“It’s practically a museum on wheels,” Milo said. “People are going to think I’m an old man, it’s embarrassing.”

“Oh get over it. Who cares what people may think about you?”

Alex pressed a button for the ignition, causing the engine to engage. The mid-mounted engine idled silently and the lights on the dash lit up.

Aris was feeling a little bit more adventurous so he chose one of the Ducati motorcycles.

Alex said some final words to her mother then slowly pulled out of the parking compound. A ramp had been set up to allow them to drive down into the subway tunnel. Their headlights automatically came on and pierced the darkness, illuminating the abandoned tunnel. With a clear visual of the road ahead, Alex accelerated out of Mara’s sight.