Pretty When You Cry

A/N: First, I just want to say I'm so sorry for the wait! I promise more one shots are on their way. Disclaimer: This is a Harley + Joker one shot, but there's slight Deadshot + Harley in it too. Also, all rights for the song "Pretty When You Cry", go to Lana Del Rey. Thank you, and enjoy.

The Suicide Squad just got back from yet another mission. Most of the team was pretty beat up, and tired......especially considering they had a little run in with none other then The Joker. They all decided to crash at an abandoned motel in the middle of nowhere. The car ride there was uncharacteristically silent. Deadshot chose to only focus on the road as he drove, while in the passenger seat, Harley looked down with a straight face. Once they arrived at the motel, some chose to shower, while most decided to just turn in for the night. Only two remained up: Deadshot and Harley. Deadshot was one of the few that took a shower, instead of going straight to sleep. He also proceeded in doing 50 push-ups, and 70 curl-ups. Harley and him stopped being in a "relationship" a few months ago. He was the one to end it, but still said they would be friends afterwards. Although, it was quite obvious that they became distant. It wasn't that he didn't care about her, it just wasn't going to work between them. But even though they became distant, he still knew how broken she must be right now. He sighed, and wiped the sweat off his forehead, and put on a t-shirt.
'Harley's room is just down the hall', he thought.
He quietly opened his door and slowly made his way down the hall.
Meanwhile, Harley was laying on her temporary bed as she looked up at the ceiling. Thoughts of the last few hours kept popping up.

//Flashback to the mission//

It was a simple mission. Track the guy, find the guy, kill the guy. Pretty easy, right? Who was the guy? Eh, some agent named Brick Bergs. Parents must have loved him to give him a name like that! Anyways...I guess he knew we were coming because all his little agent friends were protecting him in a big ass building that's seen better days. What was my job, you ask? Well, usually Deadhead always insists that he has to kill the target because his way is more quick and to the point. But lucky him,  there was more "bodyguards" than he realized, so he had to lead the rest of the team. And lucky, lucky me, I got to be the one to do the actual mission. Clearly a bad choice on his part, but hey, I wasn't gonna bring it up. So, while everyone else is on the bottom floor, I'm heading to the top floor. It wouldn't have taken so long if there was a freaking elevator that actually worked! Anywho, I gripped my gun tightly, because Mr. No Fun said I haaaaddd to use a gun and make it quick. Honestly, it's more of a hassle now to just kill the goddamn guy. I mean I at least could have had some fun if I brought my mallet. I found the room he was supposedly hiding in, and bust the door open. I raised an eyebrow in confusion. Agent Bergs was dead.....more like slaughtered. I took a few steps closer.
"What the-"
But I was interrupted.
By a laugh.
And not just any laugh.
I gripped my gun even tighter, making my knuckles look even whiter.
"Oh shit...," I mumbled under my breath.
Then, the one and only stepped out from the darkness with his signature smile.
"What's wrong Harls? Aren't ya happy to see me?"
I bit my lip, and aimed the gun at him.
"Aww..", he mocked hurt, then smiled again.
"That's not very nice Doll", he lulled out as he made his way towards me.
"S-Stand back", I stuttered.
His smile grew.
"What's the matter Harls? Don't tell me you're afraid of your own lover now?"
"We're not together anymore," I sneered.
"Oh come on Harls, we all know you're utterly obsessed with me."
He was close now. Too close. He was right in front of my gun.
I shook my head.
"No. You're not gonna get the best of me. Not this time you meaningless clown", I fought back.
His smile dropped and his demeanor changed.
"That so, huh?"
He quickly hit the gun out of my hand, and jumped on top of me, then started to choke me. I kicked him off, then started running towards where the gun landed. Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough, because he grabbed me from behind and threw me through one of the sliding glass doors. I winced as I pulled a big shard of glass from my arm as he started walking towards me. I hid the glass shard behind my back, as he picked me up, and started strangling me. I gripped the glass shard securely in my hand, before I stabbed his shoulder with it. He luckily let go, and I proceeded to twist his arm back, then kick him in the gut. He fell to the ground, and with all my might, I tried to run to the staircase. I knew I wouldn't make it to the gun, but I hoped that at least one member of the squad would wonder why I was taking so damn long, and would come up the stairs. Suddenly, I was pushed into a wall, my head taking a dreadful impact once I made contact. I slid down to the floor and bit my lip. Joker leaned over me and smile slightly, before he started punching me in the gut repeatedly, until I coughed up some blood. I tried to fight back, but every blow was harder than the last. Once he stopped, he leaned even closer to my face.
"Oh Harls, how I hate seeing you like this..."
I gritted my teeth, "Stop. Calling. Me. That."
"Or what", he said with amusement as I received yet another blow.
I spit out even more blood, but most of it just stuck to my lip. His thumb carefully wiped the blood off my lip. His hand gently cupped my face as he stared into my eyes, and I stared back.
"Sometimes I wish you'd just kill me", I spoke softly.
"Why?"
"So the meaningless torture could just end."
"Whoever said it was meaningless my love?"
My eyes narrowed and I pushed his hand off my face, "We are not together, okay? I am not yours, not anymore."
He slapped me, then forcefully grabbed my chin and made me look at him.
"Listen here cupcake, you're mine whether you like it or not. I created you, I made you who you are today. And guess what sweetheart, no one in this world cares about you, except for me."
"That's not true! People care about me."
He rolled his eyes and sarcastically said,"Oh yea, people just always care about psychopathic killers."
He gripped my chin tighter and leaned even closer,"Who would care about some pathetic girl, huh?"
I stayed silent as I continued to glare.
Suddenly, his signature, devilish smile appeared again.
"Hmm, do you think little ole Deadshot cares about you?"
"Well he-"
He punched my gut again, and continued,"If he really, truly cared about you, then why would he break up with you, huh?"
I bit my lip, and stayed silent.
"I know why.... Because he doesn't care about you. In fact, you're just an annoyance to him.....nothing more than an annoying, little, whore. Isn't that right?"
I refused to break. I couldn't let him get under my skin, but even then, I knew, he already was.
"And what about the rest of the team? You're just a dumb psycho that sleeps around. Face the truth Harls, they don't care about you. No one ever did, and no one ever will. You are nothing."
My teeth clenched down on my bottom lip, as I held back the tears that were itching to be free.
He checked his watch and sighed.
"Ah, well, as much as I love our little chats, I do have a schedule to stay on, so I'm afraid we'll be cutting our tea party short."
He stood up and walked over to the other side of the room, and started mumbling something in a walkie talkie.
"W-wait", I said weakly.
He paused, then turned around and slowly started walking towards me,"What was that?"
"T-take." I cleared my throat. "Take me with you. Please."
He raised an eyebrow,"Excuse me?"
"Let me come with you. Please. I-I need you. Y-You're the only one that cares, that gets me. Please let me come with you. Y-You said it yourself, that you c-care about me."
He leaned close to my face again, and once again, his hand cupped my face.
"That's true Harls, I do care about you."
I smiled slightly as I looked in his eyes.
"But...just because I care about you, doesn't mean I need you," he said with a smirk, then started walking away again.
"B-but-"
"I know, I know. Shocker, right? But, the truth is, I really don't need you. In fact, I never did."
He opened the door, and turned back to look at me one last time.
"But you know, you really are a pretty little thing...", he paused and grinned wickedly, "Especially when you cry."

//Flashback ended//

I slowly got up and started playing one of the records on the record player. My door was cracked open slightly. Little did I know that Floyd was standing outside my door.
I slowly did a little twirl as the song started to play.

"All the pretty stars shine for you, my love.
Am I that girl that you dream of?
All those little times you said that I'm your girl.
You make me feel like your whole world."
I started to softly sing along to the pre-chorus.

"I'll wait for you, babe,
It's all I do, babe,
Don't come through, babe,
You never do.

Because I'm pretty when I cry.
I'm pretty when I cry.
I'm pretty when I cry."
I looked down as the song played, as memories rushed into my head. Some recent. Some from the beginning of the whole mess.

"All those special times I spent with you, my love,
They don't mean shit compared to all your drugs.
But I don't really mind I've got much more than that.
Like my memories, I don't need that.

I'll wait for you, babe,
You don't come through, babe,
You never do, babe,
That's just what you do.

Because I'm pretty when I cry.
I'm pretty when I cry.
I'm pretty when I cry."

I started saying the next versus softly, as my voice began to crack.
"Don't say you need me when
You leave and you leave again.
I'm stronger than all my men,
Except for you."
The hallway floor creaked, and I turned to see Floyd. He knew I saw him, so he carefully opened the door and stepped inside.

"Don't say you need me here,
You leave us, you're leaving,
I can't do it, I can't do it,
But you do it well."

I looked away and crossed my arms, afraid to expose how weak I am.

"'Cause I'm pretty when I cry.
I'm pretty when I cry.
Pretty when I cry.
I'm pretty when I cry."

I looked at Harley, and how she couldn't even look at me. I knew I wasn't the one that brought her to this state, but I still felt a tinge of guilt. She looked vulnerable. She looked how she truly always felt on the inside: Broken.
And deep down I knew, I knew I couldn't fix her. I knew I couldn't repair the excessive damage that was consuming her. All I could do, was stare. Stare at the girl that everyone thought was happy, stare at the most misunderstood person I've ever met.......stare at the girl that I once called mine. Her eyes flickered back to me, the eyes that once held love, now only held tears. I walked up to her and hugged her, holding her close as she began to cry.
"I love him", she cried.
I nodded and caressed her back gently to try to soothe her.
"He didn't w-want me."
I sighed softly, and closed my eyes, "I know."