Chapter Sixteen - I'm Scared of Thunderstorms

^She never fails to comment on every chapter.

~Alyssa~

“What are you doing here? Go back to Cole.” Jeremy’s voice was cold and hard, and every word was like knifes, stabbing and wounding my already injured heart.

“I-I…sorry. Forgive me.” I pleaded so hardly, begging him to listen to me, to let me explain.

“…No.” He responded coldly, not even sparing me any eye contact. The final knife stabbed right in the middle of my heart, as my heart burst with sorrow and regret, tears spilling from my eyes. He shove me away heartlessly, leaving me sprawled on the ground, my heart bleeding and broken.

“Jeremy!” I awoke with a start, jolted from my sleep by another nightmare of what happened yesterday. I had been tossing and turning on my sweat-sodden bed the whole night, awaken by these nightmares, and not to mention there was a loud thunderstorm out there. Deep rumbles filled the room, as streaks of bright light threatened to tear the night sky. The wind howled and pounded on the doors and windows, making me shudder in fright, curling myself up into a ball under my blanket. The storm had been raging on for about six hours now, and I knew I wasn’t going to get any sleep.

Suddenly, thunder exploded out from nowhere, and lightning blinded my vision. I gave a strangled scream, covering my ears and shutting my eyes tight, but my scream was only muffled by the howling wind. Totally freaked out and shaken, I grabbed my pillow and ran out of my room.

~*~*~

~Cole~

Stupid rain. Stupid thunder. Stupid lightning. They were all interrupting my sleep. I groaned and rolled over to my belly, using my pillow to cover my ears, but it didn’t do a good job in muffling the loud claps of thunder.

From a distance, I heard faint squeaks of the wooden floor and shuffles.

Shit. What was that? Who was there? I pulled myself out from the comfort of my blanket, letting the cold wind nip at my cheeks. I craned my neck and strained my ears, trying to make out where the sound was coming from amidst the loud peels of thunder.

“Eeeek.”

There was it again! Was it a stray cat chasing a rat somewhere outside? Don’t be stupid Cole, why would they be out in the thunderstorm? I groped in the darkness and reached out for my baseball bat. I had to warn Alyssa that someone had barged into our house. But how so, without alerting the burglar noticing?

I stumbled to the door, waiting behind it, raising my baseball bat above my head. Someone was fiddling with my door knob as I gulped down my fear. The burglar was getting closer, the door was going to open, any second now…

“Ouch!” I heard Alyssa shriek, as my eyes adjusted to the dark figure standing in front of me. Her pillow fell to the ground with a thud as she rubbed her head profusely, moaning in pain.

“Why did you hit me with a bat?” She hissed in pain.

“Then why were you acting all mysterious and barging into my room?” I demanded, raising my voice a few decibels higher than hers.

She grimaced in pain, shooting me a glare. “Well?”

“Well what?”

“Aren’t you going to apologize? After physically assaulting me?” She pointed to her head, her eyes widening.

“Oh, um, sorry, I guess…” I dropped my baseball bat, scratching my head sheepishly.

Thunder cracked and Alyssa jumped in fear, shivering slightly.