A Knight's Pledge - Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Penelope fidgeted with her gown as she waited for the Lord of Light. Her father had called her to a meeting without explaining anything or giving the slightest hint. Her father was supposed to be here with her but it seemed his preference was elsewhere. Who knows how many ‘elsewheres’ there were or how long he’d be there. She loved her father because a daughter had to, but she certainly had no respect for him. He showed no regard for her late mother or to the multitude of women he bedded. She wouldn’t ever be surprised to find a half sibling around the Realm. Luckily, women here were smarter than her father.

She shifted in her seat and re-creased the hem of her dress with twitching fingers. Why was this taking so long? The Lord of Light was supposed to be here by now. Her tiara felt heavy above her brow and the restricting hairstyle was making her head ache. In addition to the outward discomforts, her insides were churning. She couldn’t help the unsettled feeling of foreboding pressing against her gut. Something was not right in the Realm. And she felt somewhat like a target. Mind you, being princess attracted a lot of unwanted attention. All sorts of attention.

“Not going there. Not going there.” She chanted to herself. She closed her eyes and practiced her deep breathing exercises for relaxation.

“Whooooshaaaaaa,” she chanted on each exhale. After a few minutes she felt calmer and less likely to pick her hem apart. Footsteps echoed through the hallway, approaching the chamber Penelope occupied. Her hands clenched on her knees as she forced them not to grab onto her dress.

The door flew open and the Lord of Light stormed into the small chamber. He stopped abruptly.

“Princess.”

She inclined her head toward him.

“Milord.”

His face was flushed and he was out of breath.

“Milord, is everything okay? What was it you summoned me for?”

Anguish briefly crossed his features but was just as quickly gone.

“Ah, yes. The summons. My apologies, Princess. The circumstances are slightly more complicated than I anticipated.”

Penelope stiffened. “So, am I not needed then?”

Angry voices sounded from outside the chamber and two men burst through the doorway arguing heatedly.

“You can’t just go in there!”

“Try and stop me, Hudson.”

“Milord is busy with another…” His words were cut off when he spotted her and he sketched her a bow. “My apologies, Princess, for the untimely intrusion.”

Penelope inclined her head to him. “Hudson. Good to see you again.” She smiled at the Lords assistant then glanced beside him to the man he’d been arguing with. “And who might this be?” Penelope felt the blood drain from her face as eyes the colour of melted steel met hers. Her breathing hitched and the pulse she’d worked so hard to slow down, now took off at a gallop.

Oh bollocks.

Shock registered in his eyes too but was quickly masked before his gaze darted around the chamber to the other occupants. She saw him take a deep breath before bowing deeply to her.

“Dyson Grange at your service, Princess.”

Penelope turned to the Lord of Light and demanded, “What is he doing here?”

The Lord looked uncomfortable as he shifted his eyes from hers to Dyson’s and back.

“He’s here to go fight the evil that threatens the Realm.”

She couldn’t help herself. Penelope burst into peals of laughter. Dyson frowned and lowered his head, hands fisting at his sides. Hudson interrupted her snickers.

“With all due respect, Princess. Dyson doesn’t want to be here either.”

Dyson flinched. “I can speak for myself you fool.” Penelope fought to contain her mirth. “Tell me Dyson, how you of all people is going to be able to fight this heinous evil, when all who went before you failed to return? You, the bane of our society, are going to succeed where the noblest of knights failed?”

Dyson’s eyes flashed in anger as he glared at her. “It wasn’t my bloody idea, Princess. If it were up to me, I’d still be eyeballs deep in whiskey, trying to drown my pitiful existence in drink. I’m not exactly thrilled to be here either.”

She heard the pain and rejection in his voice and wondered if the punishment he’d worn had been too harsh. It hadn’t been entirely his fault after all. He seemed to harbour more self-loathing than any punishment would have ever meted out. She waited for a moment for the tension in the room to subside, before addressing him.

“Dyson, I’m sorry for my reaction. It was poorly of me to be so rude. I’m sure the Realm will appreciate any effort you make to rid us all of this evil.”

He eyed her suspiciously as she continued.

“If there’s anything I can do to help, please let me know.”