A Knight's Pledge - Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Penelope ran out of the chamber to find Hudson and Dyson on a bench in the corridor.

“I can’t travel with you,” she blurted out.

Dyson looked confused. Hudson sighed. “We were just about to get to that.” He waved the map of the Shadowlands at her.

Dyson queried, “Hudson, what is she talking about?”

Hudson motioned to each of them with his hand, “Dyson, Penelope needs a knight. You, my friend, are that knight.”

“But I’m not a knight. I was stripped of that title long ago.” He maintained eye contact with her the entire time. She knew why. The Lord of Light stepped into the corridor with a ceremonial claymore; hilt encrusted with jewels and engraving along the flat of the blade. He sighed wearily and approached Dyson.

“Kneel, Dyson Grange.”

Dyson looked sceptical but obeyed nonetheless.

“As Lord of Light, I hereby dub thee, Knight of the Realm” He touched the flat of the blade to each of Dyson’s shoulders. “Arise, Sir Dyson. May no harm befall you and the Princess on your noble quest.”

A dumbfounded Dyson searched for answers in Hudson’s then her gazes but found none. She was just as flummoxed as he.

Hudson shook himself and took Dyson’s elbow. “Let’s get you ready then.” Dyson started off then stopped.

“Show us the map.”

They spread the map out on the wall of the corridor and studied it.

“The Shadowlands covers these areas,” Hudson pointed to landmarks that looked a lot like a bed, a wardrobe and a bookshelf.

“How do we get there?” Dyson asked.

The Lord of Light handed amulets to them both.

“When you are in close proximity to the portal to the Mortal Realm, the amulet will glow. Touch it and you will be transported across.”

“You mean the Shadowlands aren’t even part of our Realm? How can they be troubling us if they’re not here?”

The Lord of Light replied, “We are part of this Realm, powered by magik, imagination and innocence. The Shadowlands exist in the dark spaces of the Mortal Realm. The places you see here are where they hide. The Dust Overlord and his minions gather there during the daylight hours but each eve, they can cause havoc as the shadows stretch farther.”

Dyson rubbed his temples as if to discourage a headache. “What if we don’t succeed?”

Penelope spoke up, “We have to. If the prophecies have decreed it, then there’s no other way.” Her voice was at least steadier than her insides, which felt like half set jelly. It was a small personal win.

“I’m going home to pack and to sleep. I need to be alert if we’re to leave at first light.” She squared her shoulders before turning and striding away. It was a battle to keep the turmoil inside and she needed to be alone.

How was she going to journey with this man, when all she could think about in his presence, was his naked body in full display at the end of her bed? It was distracting to say the least.