Moving In

It looked just like the pictures Mom and Dad had shown us online... but that's what scared me. If you're moving into a house, you're gonna wanna do some digging, am I right? That's how I knew.

It made no difference to me how big our real estate agent, Marcy, smiled, or how many facts she tried to include about the vintage décor. I knew the truth. I'd told Violet; I tell her everything. But I hadn't told Mom or Dad. Shit would hit the fan. This was the Murder House.

And Violet thought it was cool! I'm not superstitious or anything, but I'm not exactly comfortable with living in this house, and she thinks it's awesome. Mind you, to say we're twins, we're about as different as they come.

Violet could best be described as... erm... cynical? Yeah definitely cynical. Depressed, both clinically and emotionally. Pessimistic to say the least and... what's the word?.. someone who lost all the fucks she once gave. It's not a bad thing, particularly. But it was definitely difficult to see myself as her sister any more, let alone her twin! I was her polar opposite- no joke. I'm pretty optimistic, I guess; usually quite happy, and I care enough for the both of us... I care perhaps a little too much. 

We looked different too. I walked behind her as we followed Marcy on the tour of the house. Her dark blonde hair fell to her shoulder blades straight as can be. Her style was also very different to mine; she wore a longish blue floral dress over a long-sleeved burgundy top, all covered by a mustard yellow cardigan. I on the other hand, was much more simplistic in my appearance. I wore blue jeans with black wedged boots, with a plain white top and a cropped black cargo jacket. I lifted my red nails to try to tame my curly hair.

Marcy said something about the previous owners who refurbished the house being gay and Violet turned around to me, a twinkle alight in her brown eyes as she looked into my blue ones.

"Bet you called that," she whispered.

"Damn right I did," I murmured back and she chuckled.

The tour of the house continued, but I didn't pay too much attention, planning to look around for myself later. But eventually the tour ended up in the kitchen. I grumbled as Hallie the yappy furball darted between my ankled and nearly tripped me up.

"Violet, honey? Can you go see where Hallie went? Thank you," Mom said as Violet nodded and left.

Marcy cleared her throat just then and all attention was on her; "Speaking of the last owner, full disclosure requires I tell you what happened to them..."

Here we go...

"Oh God," Mom started, "They weren't murdered were they?"

"Yes actually... murder-suicide..."

"Hence the low price..." I pondered.

"Exactly my dear," Marcy praised.

"Where'd it happen?" Violet asked from where she now stood behind me.

"Basement, dear."

"We'll take it!"

For fuck sake...

I cleared my throat and the three adults turned to me. 

"Marcy thank you for the lovely tour, and it was so nice to meet you," I said, extending my hand for her to shake, "But is it okay if I have a wander around by myself, now we know we're getting it?"

"Of course, dear," she beamed at me as I waved goodbye.

I turned and dragged Violet with me as I started ascending the stairs, hearing a faint "What a lovely daughter you both have" behind me.