First Night in the Murder House

Maya's POV

I didn't really know what to think as I sat down on my bed once Chad had left. Ghosts. Were real, apparently. And the Westfield Shooter just so happened to haunt my house.

"Maya! Dinner!" I heard Dad call up the stairs.

I swung the door open, and the force of it sent little wisps of my hair in a frenzy, as I stepped out into the corridor. I slowly walked down it, eventually getting to the top of the stairs before I stopped. I looked up at the ceiling. Up at the hatch.

"Beau," I whispered to myself, before descending the stairs.

As I did so I continued whispering, "Nurses, Tate, Chad, Patrick, Hugo."

When I reached the bottom, I leant around the bannister and looked at the basement door.

"Thaddeus, Nora, Charles," I whispered, before taking a deep breath and heading into the kitchen.

When I entered, the smell of pizza hit me and I sighed contently, happy that at least something normal was going on.

The dinner conversation was pathetic to say the least- Violet stayed silent, and so did Dad, so it may as well have been just Mom and I sat with each other. We didn't talk too much though- just about Chad and any ideas we had for the house. Mom wanted those murals out of the living room and I agreed with her. They were horrible!

After dinner, Mom suggested Violet and I try to get an early night to be ready for school... or schools- tomorrow. Violet rolled her eyes before heading up to her room and locking the door. I stuck around to help load the dishwasher before doing the same, but keeping my door open- I only really locked it when I went to sleep.

I settled for laying on my bed, staring at the ceiling, as I thought about what Chad had told me. I had half a mind to go and find Violet, to tell her everything that Chad had told me. But Chad was right. I couldn't. I shouldn't. She wouldn't believe me anyway. So I settled to mulling everything over myself.

There had been an awful lot of adultery in this house. Constance and Hugo. Chad and Patrick. And I had a sneaking suspicion that Mom and Dad would come next. But why would a ghost want to make themselves visible? What's the point in scaring someone? And were all the ghosts really that bad? I knew Chad wasn't. And from what I knew about Beau, neither was he; he was too innocent- he hadn't died because he was hated, but because he was loved. Those were the thoughts that overwhelmed my mind as I slowly drifted off to sleep.

Tate's POV

I followed her down the stairs once she opened her door, listening to her murmur all the names to herself as she remembered her conversation with Chad. She knew where to find everyone. She knew where to find me. There were some of the ghosts I didn't want her to come across. I wouldn't wish Thaddeus on her even is she'd pissed me off. But I didn't want her to find Beau because I was scared she would judge him.

Their family dinner wasn't all that familial, Maya and her mom being the only ones to actually attempt conversation. Still better than my family dinners though. 

After dinner, both girls were dismiss, and Violet headed straight up to my room and slammed the door. She was just like me. She even slammed the door the same way. And I couldn't help but be drawn to her as I looked towards the staircase she had previously stomped up. 

Then I turned my head to Maya, loading the dishwasher while her Mom and Dad glared at each other. She was too pure for this family. No doubt about it. And she was certainly too pure for this fucking house. I was starting to realise why Chad had told her. I'd rather she knew and expected the ghosts than they pop up and scare her to death and make her feel crazy. I didn't really know which sister to follow as I headed up the stairs after Maya. I suppose I could sit outside Violet's door and listen in... but she didn't really do that much- she read. But reading isn't exactly a loud past time.

As I paused in front of Violet's door, I looked down the corridor to see Maya disappear into her's, but she left the door open. I took the chance.

I followed her into the room to find her sprawled out in the middle of the bed, just staring blankly at the ceiling. Her eyebrows furrowed as she seemed to inwardly battle with herself, but I didn't know what over. Then I saw her eyes closing, almost feeling her lids becoming heavier, before they inevitably shut. I watched the rise and fall of her chest as her breathing became steady and rhythmic. 

I didn't know what to do now, really. But I knew I should eventually shut that door. Wouldn't want every ghost in this joint to just walk in as they please and slit her throat on her first night. No. Violet had the right idea- she'd locked her door shut for the night. I decided I would protect Maya. Make sure nobody tried to hurt her.

I walked over to the window and slowly, quietly, closed the curtains. Then I walked over to her sleeping form, and gently touched one of her boots. When she didn't stir, I gently began to unlace them before slowly slipping them off her feet. Then I gently lifted her into a sitting position and peeled her cargo jacket off, folding it over and hanging it over the footboard. I laid her back on the bed and brought the blanket she'd brought in from the car over her body, making sure she was warm enough.

Then I shut the door and sat. I sat against the wall, facing the bed to make sure nobody would come for her. And nobody did. Not at  any point that night. So job well done.