Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"What is your plan now?" It's Beth.  I was still sitting on the couch I didn't notice her entered the room. Vince just left me a lot to think on. He cannot be serious about Von. 

Did he just threaten me about my being a celebrity?

"I don't know, Beth." Honestly, I still can't believe that Vince would do it.  He is desperate to have my son.  I want to take Von away from him.  I can't let my son go through all this matter.  He didn't even know that Vince is his father.

"We should tell Joe about this.  I'm sure he will help you." I thought of Joe. I knew I can rely on him. But will I drag him again? I have given him enough of my personal troubles. He has done so much for me. I guess it's about time for me to face my problem alone. I am not worried about my career, Vince could ruin my reputation all he want but with Von, I can't let him have my son.

"I will talk to him before I go back to the resort tomorrow." Beth nodded.

"So, he is Von's father?"

"Yeah.  He surely is." I said in a small voice.  I suddenly felt tired after that word war with Vince.  I know that he is mad at me.  I can't blame him. I already left him so many times, trying to hide from him. After realizing that he is looking for me, I made it sure that he wouldn't know about where I'm staying. I hadn't thought before that we will cross paths again. Five years is long enough for him to find a wife and have his own family. And yet, Vince has found me.  Offering me marriage even if he knew that I already had a son.  His son. I really wanted to explain to him earlier but he just cut me off. And now, he is offering me another deal. 

Should I take it? What will happen to us? I can't understand him anymore.  He wants to punish me for pushing him away. Can I take it?

"He's a good catch, Eunice.  Why do you have to let yourself suffer? You still love him, right?" I looked at Beth. She's right, I still love Vince. That love just stayed in my heart. Locked up for five years.

"I can see that he loves you, Eunice."

"I doubted that, Beth."

"While waiting for you earlier, he seemed anxious. I was watching him pacing back and forth in here. Maybe he was afraid that you won't show up.  You saw the relief on his face when he saw you, right?  He wanted you Eunice, and Von could have been his only ticket to get to you. I can see that he is a decent man, he won't do anything to hurt you and Von." I looked at Beth.

"Is that what you think so?"

"Yeah, well you are the one who knew him better. Think about it, Eunice.  For your son." I thought about what will happen if the media knows the truth about Von. I don't know if my son can take all the news. 

What to do now?

"It's late, Eunice.  You should try to rest. Goodnight." I nodded at Beth then she left.

...

The next morning, I went to see Joe and told him that Vince already knew about Von. He was also shocked, he was worried that the news will soon breakout. I told him that Vince won't spread it if I will accept the offer. Joe hugged me then.  This guy really became a sort of a father to me. I told him that I will solve the matter solely when he offered help. I also told him that I am ready to give up my career for my son. And I know that he understands. We already talked about it before. Von would always be on my top list of priorities.

After the talk with Joe, I drove back to the resort to talk to my mom and Von. I need to make a decision soon. I'm sure Vince will be waiting for my answer. I need to know first Von's reaction about this matter.

"Mom!" Von ran towards me as I got out of my car.

"Hey, honey! Missed me?" I hugged him tight. I really can't imagine my life without my son.  Just even the thought of not seeing him breaks my heart. I can't let Vince take him away from me. I let out a sob, trying my best to control myself from crying in front of my son, I held him away from me.

"Baby, mom's got something to say to you." Von looked at me questioningly.

"Let's get inside first. Where's your granny?" I held Von's hand as we walked into the lobby.

"Granny's upstairs. Preparing something to eat for dinner." While we are waiting for the elevator, I keep thinking how am I going to tell Von about his dad.  I really have a lot of explaining to do.

"Are you okay, mom?" I looked down at my son. He can also feel my uneasiness.

"I-I'm fine, pumpkin." I have to do the right thing for this little guy. My own happiness can wait. I knew that if I'm going to marry Vince, things will be very different. For sure, Vince will be controlling my life, our lives.  And when I say yes to him, there will be no turning back.

"Eunice, do you want to tell me something?" Mom asked as I entered the kitchen. Von insisted to stay at the living room. I don't know where to start and how to tell her about my problem.

"Beth called, she's worried about you. And I am your mom. You know you can trust me, right?" I broke down when I heard my mom said that. I am really glad that she's always here for me.  She walked towards me and wrapped me in her arms.

"Sshh. It's okay, Eunice.  Everything will be okay." I just cried then, pouring out all the emotions that I've been hiding since last night. In between my sobs, I told mom everything.  She also can't believe that Vince would actually do it. Taking Von away from me. We both know what kind of person Vince was.

"Have you decided? You should tell Von first about this. He has the right to know about his dad."

"My dad?" We both looked at Von. He heard it. I got tongue-tied for a moment. I can't take the questioning look on my son's face. I did not expect this kind of conversation. I was planning to tell it to him little by little, not like this.

"Y-yes, s-son.  Y-your d-dad."