Chapter Two

~COPYRIGHT 2016~

Bear, Matt and Caleb arrived back into Brown Town around noon. While Bear carried the baby, Matt carried the grocery bags from the store. They headed to Matt's house to drop everything off.

"Honey, I'm home!" Matt called as he opened the door to his house.

"There are my boys!" Lorelei exclaimed, meeting them in the entrance of the door.

She picked up Caleb from Bear's arm. To her surprise, he didn't cry. Instead, he cuddled into his mother's chest.

"Oh wow. It looks like that trip did him some good," she said, looking up at Bear. "Thanks for taking care of him this morning."

"It's really no problem. I love the kid," Bear replied. "And anyways, he turned out to be a pretty good wingman."

She let out a laugh. "Who would've known that my son would be such a lady's man at 2 months old?"

"He gets it from me," Matt smirked.

Lorelei rolled her eyes at him. "You hadn't had luck with girls until you fell for me," she said.

"What about that hot blonde from Hoonah?"

"You mean the one that almost destroyed our friendship?"

"I'll just be going now..." Bear interrupted, running off. He didn't want to be in the middle of them having an argument.

He ran through the woods, jumping over logs. It wasn't long until the family dog joined him, biting at him.

"Down boy!" he told the pup as he slowed down.

The pup let go of Bear's favorite red sweatshirt and ran off to find the other family members. Bear sighed a breath of relief and entered the main cabin to find his mother.

"We're back, Mom," he told her, kissing her on the cheek.

"Glad you made it home safe. How was your trip to town?" she asked him.

"Same as always. Uneventful," he replied, plopping down at the dinner table, watching her as she knitted.

"I don't know. Seemed pretty eventful to me," Matt said, coming into the house and plopping down next to them.

"Why do you say that, hun?" Ami asked, curious.

"Bear was using Caleb to pick up chicks," he chuckled.

Ami's head spun around to look at Bear. He groaned and rolled his eyes.

"We just talked, mom. Besides, she doesn't like to climb trees," he explained.

Ami huffed. "You know babe, you've been looking for a girl for quite some time. Not everybody likes to climb trees. Maybe you should try something different for once."

He groaned, "Mommmm."

"Sorry, sorry, I'll let the subject go," she sighed, going back to her work. "Why don't you boys go see what needs to be done around camp. We still haven't gotten it quite up to par yet."

Matt hopped up from his chair and went to walk out the door, Bear following after him. But Matt stopped and turned around to face his mother.

"Ma, before I forget to ask...Can I sleep in here tonight?" he questioned.

"Why?" she wondered.

"I'm in the dog house with Lorelei."

Bear cracked up and Matt swung his arm out to hit him. He ran off, dodging the hit, still chuckling.

"Bear!" Billy called to his son as he ran by.

Bear skidded to a halt and ran backwards to where his father was standing.

"What's up, Da?" he asked.

"While you were in town, did you happen to see if there was any word of possible hauling jobs?" he asked his son.

"No, I didn't think of it. Sorry, Da. I should've thought of that."

"It's alright. I just think it's time to get the hauling business back up. We've spent time building Brown Town back up to where it used to be, but we need some money coming in to make all the necessary repairs. There's still a lot to be done."

"I can go into town tomorrow and see if there are any jobs."

"That would be great. Bring all your brothers in with you. If there are any offers, I want you all to go scope them out together. Having all you there will really help decide if we can do the jobs," he said.

"You got it Da. I'll go tell all the guys," Bear replied, running off.

Bear ran door to door to tell his brothers the plan. They would all get up early the next morning and skiff into town to see what they could find. They couldn't help but to be excited. Their father was trusting them to take on this huge responsibility regarding the family business and they wanted to make him proud. Hopefully they could do that.

~COPYRIGHT 2016~