Chapter Fourteen

~COPYRIGHT 2016~

Matt awoke to the sound of crying and sat up in the hammock. He looked in the direction that the crying was coming from and found that his wife had Danielle wrapped up in a hug. He gave Lorelei a questioning look and she put a finger up to her lips, telling him to be quiet. He silently stood and walked to the front of the boat.

After a few moments Danielle's sobs turned into sniffles. Lorelei pulled her away from her shoulder and looked her in the eyes.

"Girl, what's got you so upset?" she asked the girl.

Danielle sighed, looking down at the ground. "I'm never going to be the girl that Bear wants," she nearly whispered.

"Whoa, whoa, where's this coming from?" she wondered.

"When we were out on shore, we all met the client's daughter. The minute that Billy mentioned a daughter, Bear was all excited about it. And when they got to work, he was feeding her the same lines he fed me when we first met," Danielle explained.

"He was probably just being nice."

"You weren't there Lorelei. You didn't see the way he looked at her..."

Lorelei sighed. "Danni, I've seen the way that Bear looks at you. He's in love with you. I don't think there's any reason to doubt him. Besides, he's too good of a man to cheat on someone. He was probably just trying to make conversation."

"But Bam made a comment..." she started.

Rory rolled her eyes. "I love Bam, but he can be an idiot sometimes. Whatever he said, don't take it to heart."

Danielle shook her head. She didn't believe Lorelei.

"You can deny what I'm saying all you want, but the only way to solve this is to talk to the person you're having the issue with. I learned that the hard way. Matt and I weren't the closest for a while because of something like this. Please just promise me you'll talk to Bear."

"Maybe."

With another sigh, Lorelei started to walk back around to the wheelhouse. Over her shoulder she said, "Just remember what I told you."

As Danielle was left by herself, she looked out at the scenery. Fresh tears leaked out of her eyes. What was she going to do?

Matt made his way into the wheelhouse silently. Everybody seemed to be calm at the moment and were just relaxing. Bam was behind the wheel. Bear and Gabe kept peeking out the side door to see how the tow was going. Noah was nowhere in sight which meant that he was in back with everyone else.

He watched as Bear went to the back room, but came back into the wheelhouse looking perplexed.

"Hey, has anyone seen Danni?" he asked his brothers.

Everyone grumbled a no in response and his eyebrows furrowed. Lorelei walked through the wheelhouse door moments later.

"Have YOU seen Danni?" he questioned her.

"She's on the back deck," is all she said as she joined the family in the back room.

Bear flew out of the wheelhouse door and ran towards the back deck. He hadn't had much of a chance to talk to Danielle while they were in Groundhog Bay, so he wanted to spend some time with her.

"There you are! I thought we had left you or something," he chuckled, coming up to stand beside her.

She didn't say a word to him, which caused him confusion. He turned his head to look at her and frowned as he saw the tears running down her cheeks.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked, grabbing her arm.

She shrugged him off. "Please don't touch me," she breathed out shakily.

He took his hands off her, raising them in defense. He didn't want to make her anymore upset.

"Hun, you gotta talk to me. What's going on?" he asked.

She let out a fake humored laugh. "Like you care anyways."

"What are you talking about? Of course I care! You're my girlfriend."

She let out another laugh, wiping her tears off her cheeks. She turned to face him, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Are you really sure that I'm your girlfriend? The only one you want?" she asked.

"Of course I'm sure!" he said, confused.

"Then what the hell was that with Natalie on the beach, huh? Why were you so interested in getting to know her? Why did you care what she thinks of you?"

Bear smirked. He couldn't help it. His girl was getting jealous.

"Do I sense a bit of jealousy?" he tried to make a joke out of it.

"This isn't funny, Bear. I'm completely serious."

"Listen, Natalie was the client's daughter. I had to make a good impression on her."

"Yeah, but –"

Their conversation was cut short when the sound of ropes pulling hit their ears. Bear looked out to see that the barge, with the car on it, was starting to nose down. He started to run for the front to tell his family.

"BEAR!" Danielle screamed after him.

"I'm sorry, I don't have time for this right now!" he called behind him.

She stood there, her mouth wide open. He did NOT just say that to her.

~COPYRIGHT 2016~