Chapter Nine

~COPYRIGHT 2016~

Bear and Danielle sat in the house at the dinner table. She was pulling heavy sips from the water bottle that Bear had just handed her.

"I have to say, you did awesome out there!" Bear complimented her.

"Thanks," she breathed, pulling the water bottle away from her lips.

"What do you say we take the skiff out and do some fishing to relax?"

"Can I clean this dirt off of my face first?" she giggled.

He laughed in response. "Yeah. Hold on, let me get you something."

He travelled the small distance to the kitchen and filled up a bowl with water from the sink. These were times when he was happy that Noah had figured out how to bring running water to Brown Town. Grabbing a clean dish towel, he carried both items back to the table and allowed Danielle to clean up.

"Did I get it all?" she asked.

"I mean, besides all the mud caked in your hair, yeah, your face is clean," he told her.

"Yeah...I'm going to need a shower later."

"Of course. You can take one later tonight. But for now, are you ready to go fishing?"

She nodded and helped him clean up. Then they headed out the door. Bear gathered their supplies and led her out to the beach.

"What're we using for bait?" she wondered.

"We're going to have to dig up some worms," he said.

"Yeah, no, that's where I draw the line. I am NOT touching worms."

"Aw, come on, why not? They're awesome!"

"Yeah, that's not my thing..."

He rolled his eyes. "Fine, I guess I can get enough for the both of us."

Danielle watched with a smile as Bear dug through the dirt looking for worms. He was so in his element. Every second she learned more and more about who this strange man was. He was intriguing.

"Alright, I think I have enough," he said, holding up his bag full of worms. "Let's go!"

Together they hopped up into the skiff and took their respective places. Bear paddled the skiff out far enough so they could start the engine. Then he took off. Danielle nearly flew off the bench she was sitting on, surprised at the sudden speed.

"Geez, are you trying to kill me?" she asked.

He gave her a sheepish smile. "Sorry, I was just trying to put a little wind through my hair," he said.

Wind in his hair, indeed. His shoulder length red hair was flowing behind him as the skiff sped out towards the center of the bay. He only slowed it down when he found what he called his "extremely awesome fishing spot".

Danielle picked up her pole and looked it over, making sure there was nothing wrong with the line. When she turned around to look at Bear, she screamed. There was a worm dangling in her face.

"Here, want a worm?" Bear asked.

"Sol, stop!" she laughed, pushing his hand and the worm away.

He stopped for a second. She had just called him by his short version of his real name. And it sounded great coming off of her lips.

He shook his head and laughed at her.

"Let me bait your hook for you," he offered.

She handed over her hook and he squished the worm onto the hook, making her cringe. The poor thing never had a chance.

"Do you know how to cast?" he wondered.

"I haven't fished since I was a little girl..." she admitted.

"No worries. I'll show you."

He placed her hands on the pole and put his hands over hers. He stood right behind her, his chest pressed against her back. She couldn't help but shiver when his breath hit her ear as he explained to her what they were doing. Together they cast the line out into the ocean. She turned around and smiled at him. They locked eyes and he smiled back. For a minute, she contemplated kissing him, but Bear cleared his throat and turned around to cast his own line.

She sighed and plopped down on the bench, watching the line. She let herself get lost in her thoughts. What had made her want to kiss Bear? Was she attracted to him? Well, he was adorable. Ok, scratch that. He was hot. With those strong muscles, rock hard abs she had caught sight of earlier, and beautiful hair, he was the total package. He was always happy and super energetic. Sure, he was different, but that's what made him unique.

"Uh...Danni...I think you have something on your line," Bear interrupted her thoughts.

She snapped herself out of her thoughts and looked down at her pole. Sure enough, the line was pulling and the pole was starting to bend. Whatever she had on her line was a larger than normal fish. She started reeling in her line, pulling as well. But she couldn't get it over the boat.

"A little help?" she asked.

Bear came over and helped her pull the fish from the water. Out came a large bass. It swung in front of her face and she screamed, losing her footing. Before she knew what was happening, she was engulfed with water. She had fallen in.

"Oh my god!" she sputtered as she came above water. "That's cold!"

Chuckling, Bear helped her up and into the skiff.

"You think that's cold? Matt fell halfway in last winter and nearly gave himself hypothermia!" Bear told her. "You have to be careful."

"Sorry," she giggled. "I got scared."

Bear held up the now dead fish. "Does this look scary to you?"

"No..."

He shook his head with a grin.

"I think we're done for the day. You ready for that shower?" he questioned.

"That would be great."

"Alright, let's get back to shore."

They took off towards shore, ready to relax for the rest of the night.

~COPYRIGHT 2016~

Seems to me like poor Danni has work luck than the Browns do, huh? xD