Chapter Fifteen

~COPYRIGHT 2016~

After Bear took off, Danielle decided that it was time to make herself invisible. It was clear there was a problem with the barge and she didn't want to be in the way. Mostly, she just didn't want to be around Bear, who had dismissed her.

She walked into the wheelhouse, around the yelling boys and into the back room. She sat in the same spot she was before, not saying one word as things happened around her.

It took some time, but the issue with the barge straightened itself out. Everybody was calmed down and relaxing. Lorelei watched Danielle from across the room. It was clear that things with Bear hadn't gone the way she wanted them to go. Silently, Lorelei was stewing inside. She wanted to know what Bam had said to set Danielle off. Eventually, her anger got the best of her.

"Belle, can you take Caleb? I have some business to tend to," she said.

"Yeah, sure. Come here, cutie!" she exclaimed, taking Caleb into her arms as he giggled.

"Addie, just a warning...I might kick Bam's ass," Lorelei said to Adelaide.

"Go for it," she said. "I'm not stopping you."

That being said, Lorelei rushed into the wheelhouse and instantly went for Bam. She grabbed him by the ear and started to pull him out the door.

"Matt, take the wheel!" she instructed her husband as she pulled Bam out to the back deck.

"Ow! What the hell Rory!" he yelled. "You could've made me crash the boat or something!"

"Oh shut it! You and I both know that wouldn't happen," she said. "Now, you better tell me what you said that made Danielle so upset."

"What? I didn't say anything to Danielle!" he insisted, confused.

"I know you didn't say anything to her, but you clearly said something that upset her. What did you let out of your mouth about Bear that set her off?"

He was silent for a moment, thinking. "Oh shit."

"Oh shit what?"

"She must've heard the comment I said on the beach earlier."

"And what would that comment be, Bam?" she asked.

"Bear and Natalie were getting along and chatting and I made a comment to Bird about Bear acting more normal when he likes a girl. I didn't think Danielle heard me. I was just joking around."

"Are you stupid?" she practically shouted at him.

Bam gritted his teeth. He didn't like being talked down to. Lorelei may be one of his best friend's and his brother's wife, but that didn't mean she could talk to him like this.

"Don't call me stupid, Rory," he hissed.

"Well Bam, your comment you made WAS stupid. So own up to it. Danielle heard it and now she's all upset, thinking that Bear isn't happy with her. She was crying for Pete's sake!"

"Will you tell her I'm sorry?" he asked.

"No, you're going to tell her yourself." Bam opened his mouth to argue, but she cut him off, putting a finger to his lips. "Shut up. You're doing it."

"Damn it, Ror. You are the most frustrating person I know," he grumbled.

"More frustrating than Matt?" she smirked.

"Alright, maybe not the MOST frustrating," he laughed.

"I'll go get Danni. Stay here."

He grumbled, but stayed put while Lorelei went to go get Danielle. About five minutes later, the timid girl came walking out onto the back deck.

"Uh...hey," Bam said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Hi," she squeaked out, not looking at him.

"Listen, what I said on the beach earlier today..."

"No, no, it's alright. I realize the truth now."

"You do?" he asked.

"Yeah and that's why when we get back to Hoonah, I won't be coming home with you guys. I've decided that Bear and I aren't right for one another. He needs somebody like that girl Natalie we met," she told him.

"Whoa, whoa, what? No, that's not what I was going to talk to you about," he said. "Listen, what I said on the beach was...stupid. Bear likes you. He likes you a lot. He's not interested in Natalie. I'm sorry I said what I said."

Danielle smiled a very obviously fake smile. "Thanks for the apology, Bam, but I've made up my mind."

He sighed, knowing that there was nothing he could do. Danielle's mind was made up and she was going to do what she was going to do. He nodded to her and went back inside.

"I tried," he mumbled to Lorelei. "And that's all that matters."

Lorelei sighed, knowing that Danielle wasn't going to be the only one that got hurt during this. Bear was going to be heartbroken. He liked her, loved her even. At first he looked for a girl like Natalie, a girl who lived out in the woods and grew up out in the woods. But then he had found Danielle. And she was all he ever wanted in his life. Now she was going to leave him and it wasn't going to be pretty...

~COPYRIGHT 2016~