Like Mother, Like Son

Ace burried himself in his work. He double checked the schedules, took his time with the menus, and put in extra time in the kitchen. It was the only place he can't be bothered by his own thoughts. And slowly, his worries started to slip away from him, as he got back to his routines.

When dinner service ends, and they were done with clean up, he stay behind to work on new recipes. He found comfort in them. He always had his way with food. He loves creating dishes that would not only delight people's senses, but pleasure their palates. He brings out the beauty of each dish like it's a work of art. It was all he ever wanted. It was what he can do for the rest of his life and not get tired of. He never minded the hours he has to put it or the entirety of the work. It was all about the satisfaction to the taste buds that he could bring. The joy he brings with his food.

"Boss, we have an Eleanor Michaelson on the phone for you." One of his waitstaff called for him.

He wiped his hands on his apron and followed to get the call at the reception area. He could have asked them to call him on his office phone but when things get busy in the kitchen, no one really bothers with the phones there. So it was better they called him there.

"Hey, ma. What can I do for you?" He said through the receiver.

"We were wondering if we could come by today. There's a little boy here looking for you, and they're leaving in two days."

Christina's leaving soon. He'll be able to get back to his world with less distractions then. Not that he ever thought of her as that, at that moment, she was a temptation he can't afford. He was getting married and will be having a child. He can't let himself go and fall for her again. Not that he ever truly stopped loving her. He thought he did, but when he saw her, he was flooded by his emotions. But he can't let it happen, he has to contain it all.

"Sure, I'll have a table set."

"Thank you. We'll see you there."

He placed the phone back and called for his maitre'd.

"Do we have an extra table?"

"Yes, back corner."

"Okay. Reserve it for Eleanor Michaelson and call me when they get here."

"Sure thing, sir."

"Don't call me sir."

He doesn't like being called sir. It feels too formal for him. And there in his restaurant, they're family. He gave in being called boss at times, but never sir.

He left Toni to manage the service for a while, as he worked on a treat for his young guest to come. He decided to make a moist chocolate cake. One could never go wrong with chocolate. He baked a two layer 5 inch cake. He coated it with chocolate whipped cream, then poured some ganache all over it. It was overflowing in chocolate. He was sure the boy would love it. He then finished it with chocolate curls on top, with two macarons, vanilla and coffee for contrast. He then lightly dusted it with a gold sheen to add vibrancy to it. And right on time, his guests had arrived.

"Ace!" The boy shouted in glee when he saw him.

"Hey, little man. Glad you came." Carlisle beamed up an even bigger smile at him.

It was just them, Eleanor, Jerry, and Carlisle. No Christina. He was both disappointed and relieved. He was hoping to see her before she leaves, but thought it would be better if he didn't.

"What can I get you?"

"How about we let you choose." Jerry insisted. He usually has a hard time choosing what to eat at places like that.