Back to Reality

After the phone call Ace got from his fiancé that evening, Christina could no longer make herself enjoy the time they spent with him. Yes, she was appreciative of the time he spends with her son and how he makes him happy and excited all the time, but she can no longer hold onto the fantasy it had created in her mind. Because really, how could she? In a couple of days, Ace would be going back to his beautiful and loving fiancé.

Two days after that night, Christina had to be alone with Ace. They had to have a meeting about his wedding. She'd been trying to avoid to have any sort of long, serious, or deep conversation with him. She always made sure to have Carlisle in the room, and found an excuse for him to leave right away. She knew he might have noticed that already, but she hadn't cared. The more he knew she wants nothing more from him than be his wedding designer, the better for her. She can't make him leave Carlisle alone anymore, it would break Carlisle's heart for sure, especially if they see him around the city again. She could just wait for him to leave for LA.

But then she had to face him during their meeting. For sure, he would not miss the opportunity to clear things out. She'd been so confusing. She told him to leave them alone, then she let him spend time with them, and now she was back to her original stand. What can she do? She's so confused herself. She doesn't know what to feel and how to handle whatever it is she feels.

Ace walked in to Christina's office, and she could already feel the tension that was about to build up. A part of her wants to sink under the ground and wait it all out until he has to go back to LA, then there was the part that makes her stand there, deal with him, and get it over with.

"Christopher. Hi. Why don't you take a seat? I've got ideas for the tuxes to go over with you." She went on starting with the business at hand.

Ace just stood there by her doorway, looking at her curiously. It was as if he was looking at a puzzle he has figured out but then the pieces changed all of a sudden. He wasted no time and asked what bothered him more than the color of the tux he was going to wear on his wedding.

"I thought we were okay?" He paused, not really waiting for Christina to answer, but for the entirety of his question to sink in. "What the hell happened?"

Christina took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. She didn't want to have an unnecessary emotional encounter. Hopefully, she'd be able to get him to understand without losing her composure. And what better way to do that than get straight to the point. There was no need to beat around the bushes, because that could make things complicated.

"This." She said, making a big gesture with her hands. And Ace simply waited for her to continue. "All this happened, Christopher. I can't have you spending so much time in my house, with my son. I thought I could be okay with it. It was harmless. But I can't let it keep going on."

"Why not?" Ace challenged. He'd been so hopeful that he could have Christina back in his life even as a friend, but again, she was shutting him out.

"You're getting married! You're getting married, Chris. That's why." She could barely contain the emotion that was boiling up to the surface. She shouldn't be affected, she thought, but she was affected really badly.

"What if I'm not?"

Christina was caught off guard by the question and his serious tone. And looking at him, it was clear that he was not kidding by it. He was giving her that option. He was asking her if there could be chance; if things would be easier for them, if he wasn't about to marry someone else. And it was messing with Christina's emotions too much. It was giving her something to hold on to, but she can't take it.

"Don't say that."

"I mean it."

"Jesus." Christina was losing a hold of herself. She could feel the tears brimming.