4. Invasion

The first blast rocked New York, instantly turning it into an ocean of melted plasma. The military thought that it was caused by an extraterrestrial weapon, a laser cannon or something, so advanced that it could wipe out a nation in a second. Millions of people died after the first attack, but many more were to follow. The blasts continued to occur, lighting up the earth from space, evaporating cities, then nations. Billions died in a week. The military tried to stop Them, tried to protect what was left of humanity. We fired everything at Them, tanks, bombs, even nuclear missiles. But, all that did was waste our energy. Humanity fell in a week, cities left burning pools of melted materials. What is left has been forced underground in dark bunkers. We think that we are safe now, protected from Their weapons by the ground. However, I can't sleep at night. The steps of Them keep on echoing from above shaking the planet Earth. I can't take it anymore, They walk above us. We can feel Their breaths, an energy and force unknown to any mortal man. When we first saw Them, some of us went mad, laughing shrilly. That day was when we learned that They didn't use any advanced weapon in destroying our cities. All They did was blink.