Chapter One

It was mornings like this that reminded Camael why he fought for the world.

The sun shone gloriously in the clear blue sky, bathing the streets of London in a warm, uplifting light. All around, people in business suits and smart attire strode with determination and purpose, smiling and laughing.

Sitting outside one of his favourite coffee shops, Camael smiled to himself as he watched the morning rush. While the people of London were notoriously known for their lack of attentiveness in busy periods like this–eyes downward and heads full of restless thoughts–the sun had a way of brightening their moods and spreading a cheerful atmosphere among them.

Opposite Cam, his brethren, Sablo poured sugar into his coffee, spilling a few grains onto the white linen table cloth.

"Nervous for today?" Cam asked.

Sablo chuckled, his broad shoulders heaving. At seven feet tall, his powerful, overly-muscled frame made him look like he was sitting at a children's table. "The summer solstice has never worried me."

"Because of the power of the sun?" Cam asked.

"Because we fight on the side of Light. And Light will always prevail."

Cam smiled at Sablo's serious expression. His friend had always been a devout believer in their cause. If only more of their brethren were like that.

"Of course it will," Cam said. "And today we will shift the balance towards the Light, and away from the hold of the Others."

Sablo made a sour face. Cam knew that he had never liked their code-word for their enemy. Sablo had always preferred to call them what they were. Demons. But they could never be too careful about who might inadvertently, or intentionally, overhear their idle talk.

A group of young girls in casual summer outfits–University students, Cam guessed–watched them as they walked past, whispering and giggling to each other.

At only a few inches shorter than Sablo, with a slightly leaner, yet still broad shouldered physique, Cam was aware of the attention they drew when the two of them were together. But with the modern world's interest in physical training, not to mention the substantial use of chemical-enhancements, their large builds were not as out of place as they once were, hundreds of years ago.

"You really think we'll find something significant in their supposed stronghold?" Sablo asked.

Cam shrugged. "Our intelligence is apparently certain of it."

Sablo's piercing blue eyes regarded Cam. "And what do you think?"

Sipping his coffee, giving himself time to form his answer, Cam eventually said, "I think that the world will not be the same after today. But whether it's for the better or worse... I cannot say."

Sablo leaned back, looking away in thought. "At least we have the sun on our side."

"Our brethren in the southern hemisphere will be okay. Even in the Winter Solstice, we fight strong."

"Defend, you mean," Sablo said. "Fight in the summer, defend in the winter. Isn't that how it goes?"

Cam shook his head. "I've never liked the differentiation. It's always looked the same to me."

Sablo's expression lightened. "Don't let our great Commander hear you say that. He'll send you back home."

"Father forbid," Cam said. He smiled, though his thoughts were grim. The act of fighting evil had always bothered him. Surely there was a better solution to vanquishing evil than to battle them? He wished he was more like the virtuous and unfaltering Sablo, who likely never doubted their cause.