Chapter Two

A few dozen paces ahead, the woman turned into the doorway of an indoor car park. Good, Cam thought. Less witnesses to worry about.

The two men went through the door a few seconds later.

Cam reached the car park entrance and followed them in, being careful to keep his distance and appear casual.

The sounds of the street became muted as the door closed behind him. A corridor stretched out for several feet ahead, with two doors facing each other at the end. The left side door was slowly closing, telling Cam which way they had gone. The door led to a metal staircase, the sounds of stomping footsteps echoing in the confined space. As Cam descended the stairs, he wondered why two demons would be following this woman. They normally didn't kill without good reason, and preferred not to show their true selves unless necessary.

At the basement level, Cam inched open the metal door and looked out, mentally preparing himself for the confrontation. He saw the two men walking between the parked cars, and the woman further ahead, her heels echoing in the quiet area. She still appeared to be oblivious of her pursuers.

White pillars, their lower sections painted green, spread out in rows along the car park. An overhanging light flickered in the distance, buzzing lazily, but for the most part the area was dimly lit and quiet.

Making his way through the cars, Cam knew he had to make his move soon, if he was going to get to the rendezvous in time.

The two men in tracksuits and hoodies must have had similar thoughts as they also increased their pace, no longer appearing to care for covertness.

The blonde woman had reached her car –a red Nissan. Her long hair covered most of her face as she rummaged through her bag. Cam saw the moment she looked up and noticed the two men approaching, and her eyes widened with fear.

One of the men broke into a run towards the woman. Cam sprinted forward, hopping onto a car and launching himself in the air. He twisted as he sailed over the men and landed between them and the woman. Both men stopped, looking him over. They had similar gaunt features and pockmarked skin, the look of homeless men or heavy drug users. One was tall and bald, and the other had unkempt, wispy red hair above a wide widow's peak.

"Abomination," the bald one said, his voice grating and somewhat high-pitched.

Cam stood to his full height. Behind him, the woman rasped and whimpered with fear, but he had to keep his focus on the demons.

"The woman will be ours," the red-haired one drawled.

So they want her specifically, Cam thought. Interesting.

Both men began to convulse. The woman screamed as their jerking frames twisted and expanded. Black scales pushed away their human skin and covered their bodies. They reached a few inches taller than Cam, their overly large chests and shoulders contrasting with their thin waists and long legs. They now wore grotesque versions of their previous faces–broad foreheads, glowing red eyes and pointed chins–and their powerful forms bulged under the clothing that was once baggy and loose.

Cam readied himself and called upon his light sword. With a flash, a beam of light extended from his fist, brightening the area.

The bald demon growled and threw a punch. Cam dodged the blow and swung his sword out to the red-haired demon who attacked on his other side. Ducking under the sword, the demon lunged forward, claws extended. Cam stepped and turned, leaving the demon to run through empty air and sprawl onto a nearby car, crushing its bonnet.

Cam swung his light sword in wide arcs, keeping the bald demon at bay. Feigning a broad swing, he ducked and shifted his position, coming up and bringing his sword across the demon's chest. The demon roared and faltered backwards, its clothing burned and singed in a long line, but the black skin underneath remained relatively unharmed. Thick smoke trailed from the collision, releasing a pungent, burnt-hair odour.