Chapter Eight

Exiting the Temple underground station, Cam and his brethren made their way along the River Thames, heading south.

Several groups of people–likely tourists, from their demeanour and appearance–loitered around the walkway along the river, enjoying the warm sunshine. Some were gathered by an ice cream van, others lazed about on a section of grass.

Balthiour pointed his chin ahead of them, towards the Waterloo Bridge.

"By the bridge we will rendezvous with our brethren," he said.

Cam shifted his position around a cluster of short Asian tourists. The group watched them as they passed, appearing to be fascinated at the large, muscled men that walked by.

Being out in public with Balthiour, Sablo, Leo, Zophiel and Suriel, was enough to turn anyone's head, Cam knew. Meeting up with three more of their brethren would draw even more attention to themselves.

As if sensing Cam's thoughts, Balthiour said, "Zophiel, Suriel, you two go on ahead and scout the building. Report anything unusual you find, and meet us inside once we're all in."

Zophiel's bald head gleamed with sweat as he rolled up the sleeves of his white buttoned shirt, revealing his powerful forearms. Suriel tied her long blonde hair back with a hair tie. They bid their brethren farewell and separated from the group, picking up their pace.

Cam watched their tall builds bob through the throng of people further ahead.

A young girl of three or four drew Cam's attention. She ran beside them, holding a string with a balloon on the end, her pigtails flapping with her excited bounce. The innocence of youth always brought a smile to him.

All around him he saw the good of mankind–in the dreamy eyes of the loved-up couple overlooking the river, or the parents who held an arm around each other as they watched their children play. They all reinforced his purpose, giving him a resolve and strength alongside the power of the sun.

Outside of a building opposite the entranceway to the bridge, three more of their brethren awaited. Cam was familiar with the two female angels, Kalaziel and Briatha, and the domineering frame and intimating stare of the bearded Rathaneal.

Balthiour greeted them with a nod, and they all turned and crossed onto the pavement on the side of the bridge.

"Nice day to be out with friends," Kalaziel said as they crossed the bridge. Her short blonde hair fluttered in the open air.

"Nice day to kill some demons," Sablo said in a cheery tone.

Cam gave him a sour look and then shook his head with a wry smile. "Relax in the park. Ride a bike. Kill some demons. Sure, things are just more fun in the sun," he said, having to raise his voice over the rush of cars going by.

Balthiour frowned. "May I remind you all that you have important work to do today? And I hope I don't have to remind you of the stakes involved." He gave them a sidelong look. "And if we survive this I will buy us all ice creams later."

Briatha playfully nudged her shoulder into Balthiour. "You're the best Commanding Angel I ever have had, Bal." She curled some stray hair over her ear. The rest of her brown hair had been tied back into a long tail that wavered in the wind.

"Okay that's enough out of you," Balthiour said, suppressing a smile. He nodded ahead, his expression hardening. "There, to the side of the bridge."

He had pointed to a square building on their right that was several hundred feet past the bridge, along the river. Around five floors high, scaffolding and white tarp covered the building. The construction work reminded Cam of the equipment on the roof of the shopping centre, and the crane which Alyssa fad fallen from. He shuddered as he repressed the memories, attempting to keep his focus on the present and not daring to think about earlier events.