Chapter Three

"No, no, no," the woman cried, slamming a fist on the wheel.

"Down there," Cam said, pointing to a side street on the other side of the road.

She spun the wheel and entered the opposite lane, and almost collided with an approaching car that stopped inches from them, honking its horn. She continued to ease out into the lane, making flustered noises and muttering. Briefly mounting onto the pavement, she manoeuvred around the nearby cars–as well as the stunned pedestrians–and turned into the side street.

The narrow road had a few cars ahead, but for the most part it was clear. The sounds of the honking cars followed them for some time, but faded away when the woman turned into another street. After some time she appeared to relax a bit.

Cam steadied his breath. "Nice driving," he said.

The woman held a hand up. "Ok, look, Mr. Nice-driving, none of that now. You've got some explaining to do."

Cam supressed a smile. She certainly was full of fire. "Just keep driving for now. When we're a safer distance away we can talk."

The car screeched to a halt in the street. Cam jolted in his seat and steadied himself.

The woman pulled the keys out of the ignition and turned to him with a finger raised. "You don't get to give orders, after what I just saw. Now you start talking, or I swear to god I'll throw the car keys out the window."

Cam regarded her pouty frown, for a moment becoming lost in her green eyes. This time he was unable to hide his smile, which only appeared to infuriate the woman. She opened her mouth to shout some more, but he quickly interjected.

"Ok, ok. I promise I'll explain. But right now we don't want to be caught by those security men."

She remained resolute. "What were those things?"

Cam sighed, defeated, but at the same time marvelling at her determination. He knew he couldn't treat her like an ordinary person. His pulse increased as he locked eyes on hers. "They were demons."

She remained still, before barking a laugh. She giggled some more, before her expression hardened. "Demons, huh? And that makes you, what, a demon hunter?"

"An angel," Cam said simply.

Silence.

"An angel," the woman repeated, looking him over. Her scowl told Cam that she didn't believe a word he said. "Well that's enough of that then, isn't it? Get out."

Cam blinked.

"Look," she said. "Thank you for saving me from those... things. But you're obviously not right in the head. I got us out of there, and now I'd like you to leave. Please."

Cam shook his head. He quickly held a hand up when she started saying more.

"I can't do that," he said. "Those things... those demons, were after you for a reason. And until I figure out why, it's not safe for you. If they want you, more will come. And they won't stop until they have you. There's a safe place, not too far from here, where my friends are waiting. We can figure things out there. But for now, we need to keep moving."

Silence filled the car as she regarded him, her green eyes shifting constantly. After a while she sighed, before reinserting the keys and starting the car. "You get a few more minutes in the car," she said. "But you keep talking, you hear?"

Cam looked out the window, leaning on the door frame and hiding his smile with his hand. Her fierceness and resolve stirred something within him... an excited passion. It had been a very long time since a human had made him feel this way. And at the same time, he had never felt anything like it.