Chapter Seven

I yawned, pulling my coat closer around me. I was finally heading home after a long night of classes. I wanted nothing more than to just collapse into bed, but I couldn't ignore the fact that my stomach was rumbling in hunger. I hadn't been able to eat anything since breakfast, since I was running in between work and class all day.

I heard footsteps start up from behind me. I immediately tensed up, reaching into my pocket to grab my keys. I wasn't sure if I was in danger, but I slowly slid each key in between my knuckles. I had been face-to-face with too many dangerous people lately, and I had to be cautious. I picked up my speed, eager to get home, but the footsteps did not fall behind like I had hoped.

I looked over my shoulder, to see a man with a hood following me. A flash in the dark had me relaxing though.

"Dammit, Bucky!" I screeched, dropping my keys back into my pocket. "You scared me! I was getting ready to shank you with my keys!"

He moved so that we were walking right next to me. He raised an eyebrow and said, "Shank me?"

I rolled my eyes. He was obviously amused at my aggression. I instinctively moved closer to him, comforted by his presence. It felt safer walking with him by my side, even though I knew how dangerous he was.

"I wasn't sure I was going to see you again." I admitted. I looked down at the sidewalk, embarrassed. He didn't say anything, so I started talking again. "Your friend came to visit me. He threatened me to stay away from you."

"He's not my friend."

I looked over at him out of the corner of my eyes. His jaw was clenched, and he kept his glaring gaze straightforward. I sighed, drawing his attention to me. He seemed to soften. My stomach rumbled again.

"You want to go get some food?"

*****

"This is disgusting." He announced, glaring down at the Chinese take out container in his hand. He poked at it with a chopstick.

"You get used to it." I said, shrugging. I gladly scooped up some noodles, savoring the smell. My stomach rumbled in anticipation, but before I was able to eat, he began to speak again.

"You eat this on a daily basis." He was incredulous, looking over to me with shocked eyes.

"Strengthens your immune system." I announced, grinning over at him. Our eyes met, causing us both to pause. The more time I spent with him, the more and more I realized how attracted I was to him. I cleared my throat, looking away.

"You can't actually like it." He said, seemingly trying to distract me, because he knew I was uncomfortable. I smiled in relief.

"Of course I do!" I exclaimed, laughing. As if to make my point, I took the first bite of food and unconsciously let out a small mood. I hadn't realized how hungry I was. Bucky seemed to tense up as the sound left my mouth. I blushed, embarrassed.

We ate the rest of the food in comfortable silence. We were relaxed for the first time since we met, content to just sit and eat with one another. After we were done, we sat there, my eyelids drooping. I looked over at him, my eyes landing on his arm.

"How'd you get the arm?" I asked, closing my eyes.

He didn't say a single thing. I opened my eyes again to see him staring at the wall, his jaw clenched. I frowned.

"You don't have to tell me, don't worry." I told him, smiling. He looked over, his eyes softening.

I sighed, sitting upright. I reached over to grab his takeout container, stacking it into my empty one. I climbed to my feet, heading to the kitchen. I tossed the trash away and took the rest to the sink, turning on the faucet. I scrubbed at the dishes, telling myself that the faster I got everything cleaned and put away, the sooner I could go to bed.

I glanced over to the clock on the microwave. 3:03 AM. I yawned again, leaning on the sink to scrub harder at a plate. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Banjo hop up onto the counter next to me, and I grinned, leaning over to kiss the top of his head, causing him to purr. I turned back to the sink.

Behind me, I could feel Bucky watching me as he leaned against the wall. My skin warmed underneath his gaze, a blush rising to my cheeks. I paused, turning to look at him over my shoulder.

"You just going to stand there, or are you going to come help me clean up?" I asked, a smile on my face. The corners of his mouth twitched, but it was so fast, I wasn't sure I hadn't made it up. He moved to join me at the sink, grabbing a towel to start drying the dishes I had already washed.

We worked in silence, seeming to work as a team. I couldn't remember working so comfortably next to someone, not even Nico.

"I fell off a cliff."

I paused at his voice, turning to look at him. He kept drying, refusing to look at me. My eyes fell to his metal arm. I couldn't even imagine all he had gone through in his life, but, somehow, he was still moving through life the best he knew how. I smiled to myself.

"I once fell out of a tree." I said, grinning at him, as he finally turned to look at me. "Didn't lose my arm, but I did break my foot. That was a bitch."

He grinned down at me, taking my breath away. I actually got a smile out of him. I turned back to the sink, an unknown emotion flowing through me with alarming rates.

And even then, I knew I wanted to see that smile more often, and I would do anything to put it there.