Chapter Fifteen

When Nico came over to visit in the morning, his arms were full with coffee and breakfast sandwiches.

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?" I moaned, reaching for the coffee.

He laughed and walked further into my apartment. He set down his bag before turning to me and saying, "Not recently, but I know I'm irresistible."

"What are you doing here anyway?" I asked, taking a sip of my coffee.

"What?" He asked, gaping at me, a hand over his heart. "I can't spend sometime with my best friend?"

I narrowed my eyes at him and raised an eyebrow. Nico never just showed up out of the blue.

He sighed and seemed to deflate. "I had a fight with Finn. My plan is to hide out here with you for a bit."

I sighed and nodded for him to take a seat on the couch. I went to the kitchen and grabbed some rum before joining him. I poured a little into each of our coffee cups before leaning back and resting my head on his shoulder.

"Drinking in the morning?" He asked, smirking. "So scandalous...I love it!"

I giggled and took a sip of the coffee. Nico has some of his too and let out a big sigh, relaxing into my side.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked after a couple minutes of silence.

"No."

"Okay."

I let the silence fall again for a couple more minutes, but when I looked up and saw his sad face, I just knew I had to distract him somehow.

"Nico?"

He looked down at me and raised an eyebrow.

"I met a guy."

He jerked up and away from me so fast, I toppled forward. I looked up to glare at him, but instead started laughing at the pure shock on his face.

"And why am I just now learning about this?" He asked, frowning at me.

"Because it's not a thing yet. I mean, it's a thing, but it's not." I groaned at my own explanation and fell backwards into the couch. "I don't know how to explain it!"

Nico smirked and leaned closer to poke my cheek. "You like him!"

I frowned and pulled away, batting at his hand. I immediately denied it, "I do not!"

He rolled his eyes, his grin growing bigger.

"You so do!" He cooed, "My best friend is in love!"

"Nico!" I exclaimed laughing. "I am not!"

"Tell me all about him!"

"Well, his name is Bucky—"

"What is he? Three years old? What adult's name is Bucky?" He interrupted. I glared at him and he immediately put his hands up in surrender. "Sorry, sorry, please continue."

"He has the prettiest eyes, Nico, you don't even know!" I said, a small smile growing on my face. "And he's kind and protective and hot as hell and maybe a little dangerous, but in a way that turns you on instead of scaring you away."

I trailed off at Nico's gaping face.

"What?" I asked, blushing.

"If I didn't know you, I'd say you were in love." He told me, a smile on his face.

"Nico, don't be ridiculous." I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

He didn't say anything more, but the look on his face said enough. I rolled my eyes and took a big gulp of my coffee.

"You can't drink this one away, Em." He laughed. "You'll see, I'm right."

I leaned over and grabbed my laptop, ignoring him. When I opened it up, my paper was the first thing I could see.

Nico groaned next to me.

"Don't tell me you're going to do homework while I'm visiting? Whatever happened to being a gracious host?"

"It's due tonight, so unless you want to do it..."

I laughed at Nico's expression of revulsion. He had never been a science person, instead opting for reading and writing. He was currently working at a small newspaper, hoping to gain some experience before applying to the big news platforms.

"You're drinking and you have class today?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "Bold moves."

I laughed and told him, "It's my night class tonight, I have hours before I have to be there. Besides, if I can't handle a splash of rum in my coffee, we have bigger issues."

I started working on my laptop and when he became bored, Nico pulled his own out of his bag and began working on an article.

Our friendship had always been like this. We shared the big moments, but we were also content just to work next to one another. We didn't need to talk or do anything to enjoy each other's company.

No matter who we ended up with romantically, Nico and I were soulmates and nothing could change that.

"I want to meet him."

I looked up at Nico, confused, "Who?"

"Your mystery man."

I rolled my eyes, "I don't know, Nico. You're a lot to handle, don't want to scare him off too soon."

I jabbed his ribs to show him I was joking, but his face remained stoic.

"I'm serious, Emma. He obviously means a lot to you." — I opened my mouth to protest, but he continued on, cutting me off — "And you mean a lot to me, so I want to mean him."

I pursued my lips, thinking it over. I knew I would want to meet anyone Nico came across — I practically stalked Finn before him and Nico finally became partners. So, I couldn't very well refuse him. But Bucky wasn't normal. He was literally the exact opposite.

"I'll talk to him about it, okay? That's the most I can promise."

Nico didn't look happy about it, but eventually agreed.

"You know it's just because I care, right?" He asked, nudging my shoulder with his.

"Or you just want to steal my man." I teased, nudging him back.

Nico rolled his eyes while I giggled.