Chapter 7: Amberlynn

-Written by Dollangangergirl

*Amberlynn's POV*

I sat in the dark, damp cage I had been stuck in for... who knows how long. Twiddling my thumbs perspiration made my clothes stick to me. Why is it so dang hot down here?! I thought to myself angrily.

I felt horrible. And to make things worse, Brandon left me there on my own! I couldn't stand being somewhere all alone, since I had grown up with one person being by my side constantly: my mom.

God, I missed her. I didn't realize how much I would miss her until she wasn't there.

Just like how I didn't realize that I had begun to think of Brandon as my lifeline in this (literal) hellhole, until I started hyperventilating when he told me that he needed to go find his 'friend' in a nearby mine.

Though, I'm not sure if I started freaking out because he was leaving me, or if because I thought my new crush was trying to tell me he was gay. Or worse, had a girlfriend.

He assured me, a little too quickly, that it wasn't that type of 'friend', as if reading my mind. But I still didn't want him to go! I needed him to be there with me!

But eventually, I end up letting him leave. After he assured me, many times, he would be back as soon as he could. I couldn't understand why he wanted me to meet his friend so much.

I grudgingly decided that I couldn't dwell on it, because I would drive myself mad trying to figure out him and/or his reasoning.

So instead, I frantically tried to think of a way to calm myself down, as people hurried to their assigned mine around me, waiting for grandpa's return. 'What was he doing anyway?'

'Stop side tracking yourself and focus!' I scorned myself internally

What would mom do? She was the strongest person I knew, and she always had a way to make the best out of a bad situation, so what would she do now?

Then it hit me. When I was younger, say six or seven, my Mother had told me that singing made your life brighter, even in the darkest of times. I knew I didn't have any proof, but I decided I might as well give it a try

"I remember tears streaming down your face,
When I said I'd never let you go, When all those shadows almost killed your light." I hummed.

I started to hear the slow, steady rhythm of the song in my head, so I closed my eyes and let go of all my worries, just like the song said.

"Just close your eyes, the sun is going down.
You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now.
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound." I sang the rest of the song blissfully, forgetting where I was. Instead, I was with my mom again, singing the song with her.

Imagining singing with her just made me sing strong and proud. Hearing her voice in my head singing with me made me sing with heart, knowing I wasn't alone.

When the peaceful melody ended in my mind, I opened my eyes to find Brandon had returned, his eyes widened when he realized he was caught watching me sing.

My cheeks went dark red once I realized I was caught singing. I didn't even notice the shadowed figure that had come up behind him until it spoke.

"You have a beautiful voice, it reminds me of someone I used to know." The man (he was WAY to old to be a boy) said, almost in a pained voice. As if it hurt him just to think about the person he was talking about.

"I'm sorry for your loss, whoever it was and whatever happened." I comforted him, on instinct.

I turned to Brayden and shot daggers at him, "How much of that did you hear?"

"Not that much, I swear!" He assured me.

I hesitantly nodded and looked warily back to the hooded figure. I assumed it was his 'friend' he had told me about. The man wore a dark hood that covered most of his face, a cloak covering the rest of him from my view.

"This is my friend," Brandon introduced in a friendly manner.

Why didn't he just tell me his name?!

"You can take your hood off now." He continued calmly, this time talking to his 'friend'. I almost fell over when I saw who it was, if I could have, I would.

The blue eyes, the dark brown hair. It was all too familiar, it was all too much.

This was the man from my Mom's picture frame. This man was my Father.