𝐏𝐔𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐕𝐄𝐑. 3 | Scandalous Affairs

THIRD SAMPLE CHAPTER

***

𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐏𝐔𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐕𝐄𝐑.

𝐀𝐕𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐙𝐎𝐍.

***

Beau

Knocking on the towering oak doors, I waited for a response anxiously outside the large mansion that stole acres of suburban land. Without needing to look behind me, I could already point out the positions the snipers were at, plus the security hidden around the expanses of land surrounding this lavish home. Today, I finally started my new job after leaving the military, serving almost seven years for the country. I had trained with the strongest and most ruthless men, preparing myself for any situation. At times, I found myself working with the government, ensuring the safety of the Senate but, despite the places I travelled to and the new people I had met, something didn't click, and I decided to leave, looking for something that could fill the void I felt within me. After hearing about an opening for one of the wealthiest men in New York, I grabbed the opportunity without any hesitance.

The task was simple: I had to be the bodyguard for Mr. Carter's eighteen-year-old daughter, who I'd heard plenty of talk and rumours about. I had never seen her myself but from everyone in Mr. Carter's security detail, I got the impression that she was a gorgeous spitfire. If trouble had a child, it would be her. Once I was fully briefed and up to date with Mr. Carter's business affairs, including the attack on his family that happened a few days ago, Oliver, my friend who had introduced me to this job, made sure I was up to date on all things Gabrielle.

I knew better than to listen to the rumours, but I couldn't shake off the sound of awe and respect that lingered in Oliver's voice as he spoke so highly of her. Yet, at the same time, he never failed to mention how she was constantly out with a new man every week, or how frequently she partied, or how she was Mr. Carter's only daughter as if to remind me of my place. I let his words pass over my head, knowing that this job was too good for me to let an eighteen-year-old ruin this opportunity.

Gabrielle Carter.

I didn't dwell over these rumours for too long, aware that it was only right to make a judgement after I had properly gotten to know her. The doors finally opened, and a petite maid peered at me before broadly smiling, as she ushered me in. She kept the talk to a minimum, directing me towards Mr. Carter's office, but I was distracted by the beauty of the interior. It felt like I was in a palace when I saw the marble staircase that spiralled upstairs, wondering if I'd meet this Gabrielle today or at a later date. After travelling down a few corridors, the maid finally stood outside a large, closed door, softly knocking on the wood before opening it a second later.

"Sir, Mr. St. Clair has arrived," she informed, as I entered the room. The interior was dark mahogany with accents of dark red that screamed out power and extreme wealth. The afternoon sunlight accentuated the gold décor on his desk and fireplace. The leather furniture probably cost the same amount of money I had made during my entire time as a soldier, maybe more.

"Ah, Beau. Thank you for coming so promptly," Mr. Carter greeted, his voice coated with twang of Russian. Brown eyes narrowed as he curiously gazed in my direction, whilst he gestured me to come closer after dismissing the maid.

Closing the distance, I shook his outstretched hand with a confident smile. "It's a pleasure to work for you, Sir."

"The job will be difficult as you'll be keeping eye on my daughter. She's eighteen and has reckless tendencies, as I did at her age," Mr. Carter chuckled. "I'm sure you've been briefed on what you need to do, but I need to be sure you will protect her with your whole life. Can you do that, Beau?"