𝐏𝐔𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐕𝐄𝐑. 4 | Babysitter

[ Y'all are such haters, I took the picture of Beau down. You can imagine whoever you want :) ]

***

FOURTH SAMPLE CHAPTER

***

𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐏𝐔𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐕𝐄𝐑.

𝐀𝐕𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐙𝐎𝐍.

***

Beau

I wasn't sure at what point I lost Gabrielle to the chaos, but it immediately soured my mood. Why did I let her bring me? I should have just told her father. I instantly regretted my decision to come when a sea of girls surrounded me, complimenting me to the point where it had gotten nauseating. In better circumstances, I would relish in this type of attention, but these girls were all drunk, I was pretty sure some weren't even legal, and this type of attention attracted danger. I smiled thinly, not wanting to be rude as I pried their hands off me, causing them to sulk as I excused myself. The claustrophobic feeling was overwhelming and reminded me of my days in the military, the desire of wanting to leave crushed me as I pursued my mission to find Gabrielle.

Great, it was my first day and I already lost her.

"Are you lost, handsome?" a girl with red hair purred when I peered over the crowd, panic rising within me when I saw that she was nowhere to be found.

Shifting my attention to her, I shook my head. "Just looking for someone."

"Perhaps I can be of some assistance," she suggested innocently, but the look in her eyes told me otherwise.

"I'm looking for Gabrielle."

The red head pressed her lips together, thinning her eyes. "Carter?"

"Do you know where she is?"

"Why does a gorgeous man like you want her?" she sneered, holding the cup in her hand loosely, causing the drink to spill as she swayed.

"I'm assuming you don't like her then."

"Of course, I do, silly," she giggled, losing the scowl as easily as I lost Gabrielle. I didn't quite believe her. "I just don't know why she needs another male's attention when the boys over there are already fawning over her."

Following her gaze, I noticed Gabrielle with a group of people in the garden, a wide smile on her face as she drank from the shots on the table. And like the red head had said, a group of boys gathered around her with clear intentions of gaining her attention, but she paid little attention to them as she turned to the brown-haired boy with thin framed glasses, hugging him tightly which could only mean that was Quince.

"Thanks for your help," I murmured to the girl, and disappeared outside before she could reply.

The boisterous cheers caused my eardrums to ring and by the look of Gabrielle, I knew it was time for us to leave. It had been over an hour and she was beyond tipsy, stumbling as she cheered when one of her friends greeted the other with a sloppy kiss that had me cringing. Gabrielle's cheer was the loudest compared to everyone else, her wild eyes scouring the garden until they fell onto me. To my surprise, she broke into an ear-splitting grin.

"Beau!" she yelled, and a few people glanced in my direction. "Come here!"

Although I was very hesitant to comply, I knew I had a duty to do and weaved myself through the dancing bodies, dusting off the specks of dirt on my suit when I had finally gained my personal space back. Gabrielle, wearing tall heels, nearly tripped over her feet as she stumbled towards me. For goodness sake. My heart stopped when she nearly fell face flat, but I managed to grab her just in time as my arm shot around her waist, as she grasped my shoulders with a careless grin.