Chapter Three

February 22, 2015

He never stops asking. Every time I see him he'll ask for an answer. There's this thing called stalling, and it's hard to do it around him. Maybe I should've just said no in the first place.

February 23, 2015

Why won't he take no for an answer?! This is not helping, it's hindering!

"Esther!" I turned to find that, once again, Jackson was coming up to me. The guy was like a ninja, the way he sneaks up on me all the time and I am too close to make a quick getaway.

"I'm still thinking," I said curtly and pushed Luke on the swing set at the park. "You can't rush thought."

His shoulders seemed to drop ever so slightly but I didn't pay much attention. "You can at least talk to me, still," he said. "It's not like we can't talk until you make a decision."

"What is there to talk about?" I muttered while wiping my nose on the sleeve of my sweater.

"Well..." he pondered, kicking at the dirt in his usual manner. He was just as lost for words as I was. "How's school?"

"I'm homeschooled," I lied.

Tiredly, I sighed. "You're really wasting your--" I paused to sneeze and wipe my nose again, "time on me, Jackson. I'm really not the best person to chase after. You have no idea - "

"Friday," he interrupted, his blue eyes making contact with mine.

"Come over Friday at two and if you don't, I'll have my answer."

My mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water. Jackson waved to Luke before heading off to who knows where.

February 25, 2015

I think I'm getting sick. These past few days, I've been sneezing like a madman and I can barely sleep at night. Right now it's probably two in the morning. I woke up a little while ago because I was overcome with nausea and broke out in a sweat.

I bought some painkillers and this liquid called Pepto-Bismol but I think that made me sicker. I think I'll get better soon. Hopefully before Friday.

February 26, 2015

This is the only way I can keep track of time, really. I don't have a phone or calendar or anything.

I've had this fever for a while and it isn't really helping that we're living out in the woods. I could have pneumonia or worse, but I can't see a doctor.

I haven't seen Jackson in a few days. Strangely, I'm starting to miss his company.

"Esther?" Jenny woke me. The sun was high in the sky and I wished someone would just turn off the sun and let me sleep for a while.

"What is it, Jenny?" I muttered.

"You didn't wake up for a while," she said, tears brimming her chocolate brown eyes. "I didn't know what to do."

"I'm just tired, that's all," I answered and sat up slowly. Not exactly the best move because I broke out coughing.

"I'm hungry," she whined, snuggling up to me. "Can we get more of those heart candies?" I nodded furiously and struggled to hold onto my will to resist the urge to empty the contents of my stomach out onto the sidewalk. Every time I moved, my stomach lurched uncomfortably and my face probably didn't look so great, either.

My coughing receded and I cleared my throat. "I'm not feeling so well, but we can go." Maybe I could buy some more of that Pepto-Bismol.

While we were walking to the store, I grasped Luke and Jenny's hands extra tight so they wouldn't get lost in the sea of bodies. We made our way to the candy aisle where boxes of lollipops and hearts were scattered on the floor.