Chapter 3 | Meet Mason

Disappointment struck when I saw who it was. 

“Mason! Oh my gosh! How have you been?” I asked, still thrilled to see an old friend.

“Great!  Finally got my degree. I’m officially a doctor! And guess what.” he announced excitedly.

“What?” I asked curiously.

“I’m starting my residency at the Pediatrics unit of Kaiser Permanente.”

“Wow! That’s amazing!” I couldn’t contain my happiness any longer, so I hugged him.

“And I heard from Melanie that you got a job there as well.” He said while still hugging me. 

“You’ve talked to Melanie? When?” I pulled away. I was getting mad with my friends. They’ve been keeping too much from me.

“Yea, I saw her the other night at Westin Bonaventure. I was dining at La Prime with my peers when she walked by with her fiancé. She didn’t tell you?”

“No, I guess she’s going to when we see each other later at her bridal shower. And it’s just an interview, I haven’t actually gotten the job yet.”

“I’m sure you’ll get the job.”

“Thank you. By the way, how did you know I was here?” I asked curiously.

“I came in while Sir Modesto was on the phone, I’m guessing with you. He mentioned your last name, and then your first name so I figured it’s you. And, I was also hoping it’s you.” he laughed at his own redundancy.

“Aw. You missed me, didn’t you? Because I’ve missed you too! We should have lunch some time.” I proposed.

“I was hoping we could have lunch now since we’re both in our favorite restaurant.”

“Oh, I can’t. Melanie’s bridal shower is today, and Brittney and I are the hosts. I’d invite you, but you might stand out just a little bit.” I gestured with my fingers how “little” he might stand out in an all-girls bridal party.

He laughed and said: “I might just be the center of attention. Melanie would hate me.”

“Yes, she definitely would!” and we were both laughing hysterically while imagining our friend’s face if that ever happened.

“I have to go now. I still need to help Brittney with the decorations.” I informed him.

“Okay, but I gotta take you out to lunch or dinner. Or both if you want.”

“Of course! Here’s my number, and text me so I can get yours. We’ll figure out the time through the phone, alright?” I gave him my number and he immediately texted me.

“I look forward to seeing you again Miss Karen Louise Holt.” And he held out his hand.

“Oh, come here Doctor Mason Geoffrey Keats!” I pulled him into a big friendly hug. 

We were both smiling like little kids as he walked me to my car. He was the very first friend I made when I started to volunteer at Kaiser. We were good friends until three years ago when he left for med school.

“Drive safely, Speed Racer.” He said as he closed my door for me. 

I rolled down the window: “Hey, I am a safe driver.” I said defensively, but with a big grin on my face.

“I still remember how you drive.” He laughed. 

I raised my hand with the ‘whatever’ gesture and drove away.

“You will not believe who I just saw at the restaurant!” I blurted out when I entered the apartment. 

“Did Señor Modesto’s supposedly hot son finally showed up?” she asked excitedly.

“No, but I do wonder when he’s gonna show up.”

“Sometimes I wonder if he’s even real.” We both pondered for a moment.

“Wait, no! I saw Mason!” I said excitedly.

“Hunky Mason or dorky Mason?” she asked.

“Uhm, I do not know who the other Mason is, but the one I saw earlier is the one from Kaiser!”

“Oh! You mean hunky Mason! The one who has the hots for you.” she said matter-of-factly. 

“Yes, that one! And he’s a doctor now!” I Informed her.

“Really? We have another doctor in our midst!” and we were laughing when the doorbell rang.

“Let’s get this party started!” Brittney said as she went to answer the door.