Chapter 15 | Over, Sideways, and Under on a Helicopter Ride!

“Hey Speed Racer! You made it right on time!” Mason said as I run to him and the helicopter. 

“Because I’m awesome!” I yelled over the helicopter noise. 

“Is everything alright at the hospital?” he was asking about the lockdown.

“Yea, it’s just the usual misunderstanding about the infant, security thought it was an abduction...” I explained.

He smiled and asked, “Are you ready?”

“I’m always ready” I answered with a silly grin on my face. 

I found all of my friends waiting for me in the living room when I got home. They were so focused on the television that they didn’t notice me coming in until I tripped over Kristopher’s huge shoes. 

“Hey! How was your date?” Kris asked.

“It was amazing! I still feel like I’m floating.” I said with a big grin.

“Were you late? Mason called here two times, first asking where you were. Then he called again to let us know that you were stuck in the hospital.” Brittney asked and stated at the same time.

“Well, I wasn’t late. I got there right on time. Also, yes, I got stuck on lockdown for about thirty minutes I believe.”

“With who?” Melanie was looking at me as if she knew something already.

“With the chief of Pediatrics.” i stated vaguely.

“You were stuck with Dr. Patel?” Brittney asked.

“No, he retired a few yeas ago according to Rita.” I explained.

“Then who’s the new chief?” Melanie asked with a hint of impatience.

“Technically, he’s not new anymore since he became chief about two years ago.” I stalled again, pushing their buttons a little bit more.

“Oh, for crying out loud! Will you please tell us who it is already?” Kris shouted.

“Be quiet!” Melanie, Brittney, and I shushed him, afraid that the old couple across the hall would complain again.

“I’m sorry!” he said, but still had the impatient look that Melanie and Brittney were giving me.

“Fine! It was Chief Parker that I was stuck with in the conference room!” I blurted, and all three of them gasped.

“You mean Thomas Parker?”

“THE ‘TOM’ Parker?”

“You two were alone?”

“Did he make a move?”

“What did he say?”

“No, wait. What did YOU say?”

They all spoke at the same time that I didn’t even know who said what, but to keep them on the edge of their seats I said, “So, my date with Mason was great. We had lobster for dinner.”

“I don’t even know how he could afford all those extravagance. I mean, seriously, he’s just a resident. Probably with a lot of debt.” Melanie said with a bitter tone.

“Maybe he has rich parents.” Brittney said innocently.

“Maybe...” Kris and I echoed Britt.  Although, what Melanie said made me think. It made me realize how little I know of Mason, and yet I feel comfortable around him already.

But then again, I know nothing of Tom, and yet I can say that trust him with my life...

“I’m worn out. I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” I waved goodnight to my lovely companions, and rushed to my room before they could stop me.

**

Kristopher walked into my room a few minutes after I tucked myself into comfort. He went under the blankets, and also tucked himself in.

“Are you sleeping over?” I asked him.

“If I fall asleep here, then yes.” He replied.

“Ok.” and there was a few minutes of silence before we started talking again.

“So how was the date?” he asked.

“It went very well. Mason is the sweetest. We went to dinner after the helicopter tour.” I informed him.

“And?”

“We talked about old times. Also his future plans, after his residency. Then we got ice cream, and walked around.”

“Both of you realized something?” he asked suspiciously.

“Are you a psychic or were you there spying on us?” I looked at him with amazement.

“Well?”

“We talked more, and then realized that we don’t see each other that way.”

“What way?”

“Oh you know! We like each other a lot, but as friends. It’s like us, you love me and I love you, but it a friendship way.”

“Finally.”

“But how did you know that we’d realize it tonight?”

“I sort of didn’t. Then you came home with that satisfied look of yours, like everything is the way they should be. That’s when I kinda knew.”

 “I see.” And we laid there in silence until we both fell asleep.