Chapter 16 | Return of Happiness

Usually, the florist is in charge of the bouquet that the bride, maid-of-honor, and bridesmaids would hold. In Melanie’s case, it’s different. She decided to have us choose the flowers that we think would represent us, the persons who will be carrying the bouquet. 

“Does it really have to be this complicated?” Brittney whined. It was 7 o’clock in the morning, and we were at the Flower District in downtown LA. 

“I told you already! I want us to find the freshest flowers, and see how they really look. I’d hate us to see half-wilted flowers if we go later today.” Melanie explained for the second time.

“I think your idea is great, but don’t you want your wedding to be about you?” I asked her.

“It’s already about me. I have a cake with a doll replica of myself on it. There’s a big banner with my name on it. The priest would be saying my name, and not yours. I’ll have the dance floor all to myself, and my hubby of course, for a few songs, and --”

“Ok, ok. We get it” I interrupted her, and headed to a booth that got my attention.

The booth had a lot of white flowers, mostly lilies. Although, one type of flower stood out among the rest. It looked like little, pure, white bells hanging from a bright green stem; so simple yet so elegant.  

“I see the lily of the valley has caught your eye.” the old man in charge of the booth said to me. 

“Is that what it’s called? Lily of the valley?” still awed by the beauty of the flower, I couldn’t look away.

“Here, have this. It seems like you’ve formed a bond with this flower.” the man took a stem with a bunch of flowers on it, and handed it to me. 

“Thank you. Yes, I think I’m gonna have to plant my own.” I joked.

“I have seeds if you’d like.” he suggested.

“Oh no, I don’t really have a green thumb. I’m afraid I’m gonna kill it. Or worse, it may not grow at all.” and we both laughed.

“Can I help you with anything else?” he asked.

“Yes, actually. I was looking for flowers for a bridesmaid bouquet, and I think I just found the perfect one.” I said holding up the flower he gave to my nose to smell.

“You just want that flower alone?” he asked.

“I think this is enough. Besides, I don’t need to stand out as much as the bride. Maybe just add a few leaves for accent, and that’s it.” I said.

“Like this?” the man pulled up a picture from a binder of a simple, elegant bouquet of lily of the valley. 

“Yes! That’s perfect.” I exclaimed.

“I can make this for you and have it done by the end of the day.” 

“Oh no. I don’t need it until next month.” I told him.

“Ok, next month is still good. There’d still be lily of the valley.” he said, and continued, “Here’s my business card. You can call me one week before the wedding to make sure that the flowers are fresh.”

“Of course. I’d also like to give you my information, just in case.” I started writing down on his notepad.

“You know, this flower is the birth flower of the month May.” he informed me.

“Seriously? I was born in May!” I was shocked.

“Your birthday is coming up! Maybe that’s why you’re so attracted to the flower.”

“Maybe...  My birthday is not until the end of May, which is exactly in two months.” I said, and continued to write my personal info.

“Many says it symbolizes the return of happiness.” he said.

“Return of happiness, huh? Well, here you go, and thank you for the flower. I hope to see you next month.” I handed him the notepad, and waved goodbye. 

We ended up staying three hours, because Brittney got really picky. Afterwards, we had brunch, and I headed home to take a nap while they went on to go shopping at the Promenade.