chapter three

Alina felt her thigh vibrate before she heard her phone ring; "baby got back." started playing and she forced herself to keep a straight face.

"Excuse me for a second " she said to the customer, who happened to be also blind and she reached in her pocket to pull out her phone. 

She touched the screen with a smile.

"Hello." She said to the speaker.

"Whad up Harper?" Said a cheerful voice on the other line.

"What do you want Stella? If it's about letting you wash your clothes at my house again you can forget it. Cause last time you-"

"Why would you even think I called to ask a favor? I mean I am allowed to check on my best friend right?" Stella said, sulking.

"Stells, I've known you since high school. I am capable of understanding when you want something from me. Now spit it out."

"Fine." She heard her friend say. "But for the record the washing machine incident was an accident."

"Sure was." Alina laughed. "Now how may I be of assistance?"

There was a pause before she heard Stella speak again.

"Well I'm at your house right now. If you would be so kind as to stop by, I would be delighted to talk about it." She said in a serious tone. Alina sighed.

"And when you say at my house...."

"I mean inside your apartment." She finished Alina's sentence.

"That's what I was afraid of."

"Hey don't judge me. It was your idea that I got a key too." Said Stella trying to defend herself.

"Yeah yeah."Alina sighed. "Well, just try not to wash any clothes while I'm gone."

"I told you it was an accide-"

"See ya Stells." Alina hung up the phone and turned to her right, towards the staff room. Her shift was almost over so after she changed she helped Mrs Jenkins with some deliveries and picking up Debra, she left the book store and headed to her flat.

She heard Stella as soon as she opened the door although she was was trying hard not to, covering her ears with her palms.

Stella was singing. And at this point it should be mentioned that she was a terrible singer. Actually she was more than terrible. In fact, terrible doesn't even begin to describe how bad her singing was.

Someone once had compared her singing to a dying donkey. That's how bad she was. But despite all that Stella would always believe that singing was her hidden talent. She concealed it from the world so that it was not corrupted. She couldn't understand that it already was.

But luckily(for everyone) that wasn't her field of expertise. Stella Elizabeth Cameron was studying to become a doctor. And at that, she was pretty good.

"Stella." Alina said trying hard to block the noises coming out of her friend. "We've talked about this. I may be blind but I  can still hear and I wanna keep it that way."

Stella stoped singing and turned to face Alina, frowning.

"Ruuuuuude." She said poking the girls forehead. "You my friend, could use some manners."

Alina snorted and reaching her hand out she touched the wall beside her and headed to the couch. She heard Debra's tail hitting repeatedly on the floor next to her and after a second she heard a loud thump. And from that she knew Stella had sit on the sofa next to her.